Problems Copying Video From SD Card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Stevie, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Im struggling to copy/view/edit a video on my macbook from my camcorder SDHC card.

Previously ive copied straight from my SD card and the file appears on my desktop as an .MTS file. But recently the copied file just appears as a Quicktime icon titled 'Private'. I then cant convert this file in Handbrake, or even view it with VLC. Heres what Im doing...

I insert my SDHC card into my macbook and it appears on my desktop as follows..

Screen Shot 2012-10-07 at 10.46.53.png

When opening this file I get the following window where the video file is shown with a Quicktime icon..

Screen Shot 2012-10-07 at 10.49.07.png

Both Handbrake and VLC refuse to open the file, although I can view it by double clicking it. Previously these video files would appear as an .MTS thumbnail and Handbrake would happily open and convert them. The SD card is formatted to my Panasonic camcorder (as it always has been). Any idea whats happening here please?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Open up the folder marked DSCM...This is usually where your video files are stored.

3. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

4. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Files whose names begin with a period (for example, “.filename”) are hidden in Mac OS X. In your case the ".MTS thumbnail" wouldnt show up. You need an app like 'Tinkertool' to enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'

5. Big Stevie, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks SpetsnaZ99.

Why is it being hidden within Mac OS X as It never used to be? Can I revert back to how things used to be where I would see a thumbnail with an image from the video?

6. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Years ago there was a check box within System settings that allowed you to show or hide hidden items, but that was removed because some of the files would be vital system items that could be easily deleted if they were on show.
    Anyway just did a quick search and found this for you. a couple of terminal commands to show all files.

show hidden files in os x

7. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks for our help Spetsna, the link tells me to launch my terminal, what does that mean exactly? Sorry, Im a complete newbie at this:eek:

8. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

The Terminal.app should be located in the Utilities folder within the main Applications folder on your hard drive.
    Open it and copy and paste the commands in the link.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Download Show & Hide, it's an Application which does just that, and it is free.
    Put it in your dock, and you're set.

10. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks for everyones help I'll give the suggestions a try.

By the way, how do most of you copy content onto your mac from an SD or SDHC card, just in case Im doing it wrong?