Problems dealing with Applecare and Genius Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nintenmac, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Nintenmac macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    So when I first got my Late '08 MBP in about october everything was fine until I noticed a dead pixel and a very squeaky hinge about 3 weeks after I bought my computer (the hinge I noticed from the start but it got much worse as time went on). I immediately called applecare and set up a mail in repair and sent it in after the holidays (Thanksgiving) because I wasn't sure if it would delay the repair process and delivery. So then I received my computer back later in the week and I immediately noticed a dent in the battery door cover (not the frame but the actual door), the hinge was still very squeaky (they did replace the display), the computer would creak whenever I would use it in my lap, the display was not aligned correctly, and the battery door moved around in all directions about 2 to 3 mm. I didn't want to send in my computer again because of obvious reasons, so I decided to take it into the genius bar. That night I went to the stores site and the soonest genius bar appointment was on the 24 of December. So I went in and the genius said that the creaking was from the hinge and then agreed to do the repair all under the repair warranty that was still valid from the first repair and said that they would order the parts (new display and battery door) and contact me when they arrived at the store....
    Well... its been exactly 8 weeks and I've contacted the apple store twice, the first time the guy said that the parts were backordered and would arrive within the week, then again two weeks later and they said nothing on when the parts would arrive, and by computer is still cosmetically and annoyingly broken.
    So right now I'm not sure what to so any advice is welcome:confused:
    Thanks
    Nintenmac

2. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

First off get all the details of when & who you spoke to etc at the store.

Look, you need to speak to the manager and explain( letter works best) what's gone on, then I would ask for a replacement machine to be shipped to you asap because the amount of downtime is unacceptable, in my eyes back ordering of parts is not a reasonable excuse to use for an 8 week wait on repair .

Remember be calm but firm in your letter and ask that they respond within a set time .send the letter by signed for delivery.

3. Nintenmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Marbles for responding so quickly, I will probably do that unless someone else has a better idea (probably not).

4. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Call Apple Customer care!

I would just call Apple customer care and tell them what is going on. They will call the store and figure everything out. That is one of the good things about apple there is always someone else that you can talk to. So either go with talking to the manager or just go straight ahead and call Apple customer service.

5. Nintenmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Phew...

Don't worry I just got the call today that the parts were in:)
    Still not happy about the wait....

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I would ask to be compensated someway. Maybe ask for Apple Care extension? Mobile Me? iLife '09? iWork '09?

7. Nintenmac thread starter macrumors newbie

How would you recommend bringing up the topic of being compensated for the extraneous amount of time it took them to receive the parts ... I don't want to sound like I am trying to milk this for all its worth but I don't want to be walked all over?

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

^ Put it in writing .Simply explain that the down time has had an impact on your day to day life ( proof of dates /times / people spoken too etc ) and just tell em straight MacPro or else :p

Seriously though, just explain how you feel in writing and express that it has cost you both time( 8 weeks worth of down time is pretty bad imho) and money (if it has).
    Decide what it is you think you want for the inconvenience etc and ask them straight to include it as you feel it is reasonable for the inconvenience caused?- Just be fair-but- firm!.