Problems deleting cookies on Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by notanewb, Oct 18, 2008.

1. notanewb macrumors newbie

Okay, so I've gone through preferences and show cookies, selected specific cookies but when I try to delete more, the old ones that I deleted just end up repopulating in my list! I don't get it!

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I know this may sound stupid, but have you tried quitting Safari after deleting the selected cookies?

3. notanewb thread starter macrumors newbie

not a silly suggestion...

that's actually one of the first things that I thought of as well but no dice. Even did the whole shutting down and restart of my macbook...this one definitely has me a little stumped.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

There' a nice mod called Cookie Muncher which also gives you more flexibility.

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I hesitate to ask but .. after deleting the unwanted cookies, did you click Apply?
    Try Resetting Safari (a shortcut to deleting cookies, clearing the cache etc).

BTW - if you want to go scorched earth and remove cookies altogether, you can do so with Reset, and then set preferences to Never accept. Okay, some sites claim that they don't work properly without cookies, in which case you can accept them while browsing that site. It just takes a little extra time.
    [I use Firefox by choice, and have cookies set to Never, and with the exception of one or two commercially-driven sites, I have little or no trouble using the sites I visit.]

6. notanewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Apply button?

Okay, not sure if you've got a different preferences menu down there in Kiwi nation but no "apply" button shows up in the show cookies window. Only the delete, delete all, and done buttons.

I don't mind cookies, I just wanted to manually go through and clean house on some of them including taking care of the cookies issue with facebook. Yes, I bounce back and forth between firefox and safari and sometimes, I just find that firefox quits on me a little more than safari...something that used to be the reverse for me just a little over a year ago.

7. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Sorry, Done is what I should have writ, but didn't done!!! How's that for Kiwi English?

Anyway, is the Cookie issue still a problem? The only other thing I can think of is to repair Permissions. If you use Onyx, which is considered by many to be the best MacOS utility, it cleans up things like caches and generally smartens up performance.

8. notanewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't used Onyx

no worries on the Kiwi English! I did enjoy my travels around NZ and didn't have a single problem understanding people accept for the occasional drunk Kiwi spouting off some Maori lingo. haha

In any case, still no luck on the issue but may try a mod even though I feel like I shouldn't have to...this function should work but then again, I am one of the few mac users who do believe that not even our great macs are perfect.