Problems deleting file from external

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nolegirl01, Aug 23, 2012.

1. nolegirl01 macrumors regular

I was transfering a file from my external drive today when I accidently disconnected it. When I plug the external drive back in my computer and try to delete it, it gives me this error:

"The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “06” can’t be read or written.
    (Error code -36)"

It does not let me delete it from my external drive. Do you guys know what it means and how I can delete it?

2. simsaladimbamba

Did you restart?
    Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet? What does it say there?
    [​IMG]

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

3. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

Is "06" the file name or disk name?
    You can try first aid in disk utility and repair disk if it's the disk but I can't remember if that wipes data.

4. nolegirl01 thread starter macrumors regular

It's formated in NTFS, I installed Tuxera NTFS in my old MBP (late 2008) and my new rMBP, I know its not the best format but I have files in there that are bigger than 4GB so I couldn't use FAT.

UPDATE: I couldn't delete this file on my old MBP but I plugged it in my rMBP and I deleted it with no problems. Go figure. haha

Thank for your help guys!