problems deleting programe from imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by trombone, Jun 21, 2011.

1. trombone macrumors newbie

i installed "final cut studio 3" on my imac, which did not work as it was a cheap and nasty copy.
    i deleted it from my imac and bought a 2nd hand "final cut studio 2" which was not so up to date as the first programe.
    my prblem is that i cannot install "studio 2" because there is a more up to date copy still showing in the "installed software" window, which is found by pressing "software updates".
    you can highlight individual software in this window, so you would think you could delete it.
    going into "system preference" menu at the top left of the screen. open the "edit" list, there is no delete facility, but there is a "clear" option.
    however the "clear" option is not highlighted and does not work, and i cannot find way to get it highlighted.
    if anyone can help please let me know.
    thanks
    trombone

2. sauer228 macrumors member

I use AppCleaner when I want to get rid of unwanted software.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
    AppZapper missed 13 items
    AppCleaner missed 11 items
    AppDelete missed 8 items
    Hazel missed 9 items​
    I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: