Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corius87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Hello all,
I have tried raising this issue with Apple itself but after a very aggravating process of not being able to access, let alone post in their community forums I have come here.

I have got pictures on my Ipad that have been there for quite a while. Recent development mean that I have to delete these pictures.
The photos are in the "Photos" tab in the 'Photos' App.

Things I have tried:

1. Going into Folder on Ipad --> Click Edit --> Select Photo to be deleted --> Attempt to click Delete.

With solution the delete button is greyed out and does not let me delete the picture.

2. Connect Ipad to laptop --> Open Itunes --> Go to Ipad 'Photos' Tab --> uncheck the folders I no longer want to sync.

With this solution I ran into the problem that at present there are no picture that are being synced. the "Sync Photos From" check box is NOT checked.

My question to this established community is "Am I missing something?" or "Does anyone have a solution to this?"

I really want to get rid of the pictures and I would like to find a solution that does not require me to wipe my ipad and re-install everything.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your suggestions.

Regards

Corius87

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I believe this has something to do with iCloud and Photo Stream. I had this problem as well and by messing around with that I was able to delete my unwanted pics. Sorry I can't remember the exact steps, but maybe that can get you started.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I believe this has something to do with iCloud and Photo Stream. I had this problem as well and by messing around with that I was able to delete my unwanted pics. Sorry I can't remember the exact steps, but maybe that can get you started.

No, this has nothing to do with either.

OP, you need to check that box to "un-sync" your pictures from iTunes. When pictures are synced from a computer, they cannot be erased from the iPad. Your only option is to do the reverse in iTunes.

"With this solution I ran into the problem that at present there are no picture that are being synced. the "Sync Photos From" check box is NOT checked."

You need to check that box and then uncheck the folder "Photos" that you originally synced with.

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
If you used Photo Stream to get the pics on your iPad to begin with, if you go to the iCloud settings on your iPad and turn it off, it will tell you that you will delete all your pics from your iPad if you proceed. You can't pick and choose but this works.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If you used Photo Stream to get the pics on your iPad to begin with, if you go to the iCloud settings on your iPad and turn it off, it will tell you that you will delete all your pics from your iPad if you proceed. You can't pick and choose but this works.

That only deletes images from PhotoStream, not the Camera Roll or synced folders like in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.