problems downloading and installing 2.0 or 2.1 (free)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by brightshadow360, Sep 11, 2008.

1. brightshadow360 macrumors member

ok, I have been to multiple sites and have downloaded the files multiple times(for free), but I am still having problems. whenever I get the file, I hook up my ipod touch, go to "upgrade" (I have also tried doing it with restore), hold shift, and browse for the files.

the problem is, every time I do this, my ipod reaches the preperation point and then an error mesage comes up. this error dosn't show up for the lesser version when I restor it.

I know that it works because others have posted success. I also know I'm not the only one because others report the same problem.
    my situation is as follows:

1.just bought the ipod in august. just opened it brand new yesterday.
    2. have tried IE and firefox. that isn't the problem (though I here that safari gives others problems)
    3. have tried itunes 7.7 and 8
    4. 1.4 downgrade works.
    5. came with 1.5
    6. oviously not jailbroken (new)
    7. i'm on a pc
    8. I have not put music or anythin on it yet.
    9. on college lab computers, however, these particular ones are very lenient and others have the same problem.
    10. it is a 16 Gig
    11. it is an ipod touch, not an iphone
    12. I have been using the links on this site: http://www.sizlopedia.com/2008/07/12/how-to-update-ipod-touch-to-firmware-20-for-free/

I have been dealing with this for hours each day now. I am tired, frusterated, and almost ready to give in and buy the stupid thing (even though I detest giving the jerks the satisfaction of sucking 10 more dolars out of me after paying 400 bucks)

please help. I am sure this would be a great help to many people besides myself. if you have done this and had success, tell us exactly what your situation was as I have done above so we can find the problem.

edit: the error is (5). it dosn't say anythin else. it just says "an error has occured (5)"

2. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

I think this sort of thing is frowned upon in these forums, but *whispers* I did this as well and encountered the same problems. After a couple tries, I had success. Here's what I did, in this very forum there is a sticky which has the lists of all firmwares released by apple. Download the 2.0 software for ipod touch NOT the iphone. Connect your ipod touch to itunes. ( I used itunes 8 btw) and hold the shift key while hitting restore. Explorer should pop up. Locate the ipsw file and click ok. Should work. If it doesn't try shift-update. I can't exactly recall which combination worked for me.

If it works, you can simply update to 2.1 for free.

3. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

4. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

5. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

I Have Done It!

here is the solution to all our problems whether you got it legit or not. you have to put the update in the IPOD FOLDER! just updating from anywhere does not work. the specific folder won't be ovious. it's not in the itunes folder in programs. (lol apple security). go to search and look for "ipod updates".(please note that I don't know the exact name of the folder, but you will know it when you see it. drag the update into it. then plug in your ipod and open itunes. you don't even have to shift+click. a mesage will pop up saying there is an update avalible. say yas and it will work. and no, it is not charging you. I did this on a seperate computer without loging on. not to mention the fact that it didn't download anything.

SCREW YOU APPLE YOU SILLY COPERATE BASTARDS! AFTER SUCKING 400 OUT OF ME, THERE'S NO WAY I'M PAYING YOU TEN BUCKS TO ACCESS A STORE SO I CAN PAY YOU MORE! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

6. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

ah... didn't see the "banned for illigal stuff" thing. though, I must say that while pirating is illigal, what apple is doing is immoral. consider it a sort of boycot against them and there greedy ways. I mean, even microsoft is better than them and thats saying a lot.

anywho, I won't post illigal stuff again. that is unless they outlaw jailbreaking in which case I think we all will have a field day openly defiying them.