Problems downloading software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dougdoma, Nov 8, 2010.

1. dougdoma macrumors newbie

Starting several days ago, I can no longer download from macupdate via Safari or Firefox. If I try to download software directly from a developer's page, that doesn't work either.

Safari gives me a new tab with the status bar message "Failed to open page (see Activities window for details)."

The activities window says "Plug-in cancelled."

Hunh? What plug-in? What do I need to do?

In Firefox, I get a new tab with the URL of the zip file, and the status bar says "transferring data from _____," yet no data transfers, the download window doesn't open, and the little circle (preceeding the tab name in the tab bar) indicating that page download isn't complete just goes around forever.

Please, someone....

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS X version and browser versions do you have? Does the same happen with Opera and/or Chrome? Have you tried resetting Safari or Firefox yet?

Can you download the attachment of my post?

Attached Files:

3. dougdoma thread starter macrumors newbie

Spinnerlys,

Sorry about the omission...

OS 10.4.11
    Safari 4.1.2
    Firefox 3.6.12

I find that Chrome requires an Intel Mac, which I don't have (PowerPC). I can't download Opera from:
    - macupdate
    - download.cnet
    - softpedia
    - labs.opera.com
    - freedownloadcenter

I successfully downloaded your example.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

4. dougdoma thread starter macrumors newbie

When I startup from another drive (also OS 10.4.11) and use the same Safari application, I can download with no problems.

How would I reset Firefox/Safari? In the days of yore, I'd have deleted the prefs file, but I'm not even sure how to do that. (plist?)

Furthermore, shortly after this download probem started, when I ask to open the Activities window in Safari, it seems not to...I expect it has, but that the window is off my screen. How would I go about finding it and bringing it home?

(Again, if I startup from the other drive, use the exact same copy of Safari, the activities window is visible.)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you download Opera from here?
    Or even here*?
    * Instructions on where to click
    [​IMG]

Btw, to quote someone, just press the [​IMG] button.
    To quote several posts, use the [​IMG] button (multi-quote).
    To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

6. dougdoma thread starter macrumors newbie

Spinnerlys,

How embarrassing...yes, I found that cleverly concealed 'reset safari' menu item and did it. No improvement.

I looked at all the sites you listed...thanks, some good information there.

Trashing plist file didn't help, so I got rid of all non- Java/Adobe/Flash/Java/Flip4Mac/QuickTime plugins; got rid of all scripting additions except Default Folder.

—> BINGO! A lot of stuff to reset, but at least it works again; Firefox lives again too.

You're a hero.
    --------------------------------------------

As to the other things you brought up, I don't understand why you're giving me instructions for quoting: I didn't, didn't intend to. Should I have?

And about the multiple posts...thanks, in future I'll use the 'edit' button.

btw, I found my 'activities' window...strange phenomenon, but fixed.

Last item: when I launch Safari, I get a box telling me:
    Keychain "login" cannot be found to store "Safari."
    (Cancel / Reset to Defaults)

If I choose the latter, I get:

"Are you sure you want to reset your keychain environment to the default?
    You currently have additional keychains on your system that wil have to be added to your keychain search list. Use Keychain Access to add them back again."
    (Yes / No)

Yes, there are now no login items in the keychain. (The login keychain is empty...and locked — I can't click it to unlock it.) I don't know what it wants — it didn't ask for a password or anything. My understanding is that the entries will be added back site by site as I enter the login info to each site.

What am I missing? How to get rid of this message? Do I just click "reset to defaults"?

Thanks so much — you've been great.

I don't use this forum often, but I see that you're quite the responder. A valuable resource to the community, you are. Thanks. People like you are what make life a little easier for everyone. (I've provided the same in other arenas.)