Problems editing docs over LAN?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richard13, Dec 14, 2013.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. I have an iMac and a MBP which are on a wireless LAN using a Time Capsule as the router. Essentially, my iMac acts like a de facto server by storing and sharing all my docs on the network. I then use my MBP from any room in the house to make changes.

In the past, this has only been a problem when my iMac would go to sleep. Even though the iMac was supposed to support WOL it was spotty at best. So much so that I eventually turned off sleep on my iMac.

I recently purchased a new iMac to replace the last one only to have the experience get much worse. Now, even with sleep off, I am getting spinning beach balls when editing docs. Last night, in fact, the connection was completely dropped.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know what I should look for to try and fix it?

Thanks!

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I've never had a great experience working with docs over the network, especially wifi. If the server and computer are both hardwired on a fast connection, you may get by depending on the size and complexity of the document.

3. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's the thing, these are mostly just TextEdit docs. Not very big or complex at all and this has always been just fine until I replaced the iMac. I'm thinking this might be some incompatibility between Mavericks on the iMac and Mountain Lion on the MBP. At least, I hope that's all it is.