Problems editing docs over LAN?

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Sautee Nacoochee, GA
Hey guys. I have an iMac and a MBP which are on a wireless LAN using a Time Capsule as the router. Essentially, my iMac acts like a de facto server by storing and sharing all my docs on the network. I then use my MBP from any room in the house to make changes.

In the past, this has only been a problem when my iMac would go to sleep. Even though the iMac was supposed to support WOL it was spotty at best. So much so that I eventually turned off sleep on my iMac.

I recently purchased a new iMac to replace the last one only to have the experience get much worse. Now, even with sleep off, I am getting spinning beach balls when editing docs. Last night, in fact, the connection was completely dropped.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know what I should look for to try and fix it?

Thanks!

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Hey guys. I have an iMac and a MBP which are on a wireless LAN using a Time Capsule as the router. Essentially, my iMac acts like a de facto server by storing and sharing all my docs on the network. I then use my MBP from any room in the house to make changes.

In the past, this has only been a problem when my iMac would go to sleep. Even though the iMac was supposed to support WOL it was spotty at best. So much so that I eventually turned off sleep on my iMac.

I recently purchased a new iMac to replace the last one only to have the experience get much worse. Now, even with sleep off, I am getting spinning beach balls when editing docs. Last night, in fact, the connection was completely dropped.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know what I should look for to try and fix it?

Thanks!
I've never had a great experience working with docs over the network, especially wifi. If the server and computer are both hardwired on a fast connection, you may get by depending on the size and complexity of the document.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Sautee Nacoochee, GA
I've never had a great experience working with docs over the network, especially wifi. If the server and computer are both hardwired on a fast connection, you may get by depending on the size and complexity of the document.
Well that's the thing, these are mostly just TextEdit docs. Not very big or complex at all and this has always been just fine until I replaced the iMac. I'm thinking this might be some incompatibility between Mavericks on the iMac and Mountain Lion on the MBP. At least, I hope that's all it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.