problems exporting from Final cut pro...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Galapp, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Galapp macrumors regular

Hi,

I have been trying for a while to export some HD videos, and I always get relatively low qualities... how can I export videos that are in HD and leave them in HD? what settings should I use or which program?

I have tried as well to capture and edit videos that are 16:9 but it does'nt let me, I have no clue why. And exporting a 16:9 is even worst, because it doesn't work :|

Can anyone help me?

thanks a lot!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Which camera are you using?

I usually use Compressor (packaged with FCS) to export video. You can drop a sequence into Compressor within FCP by clicking File -> Export -> Using Compressor. In Compressor, you can drag/drop your settings (i.e. video codec) and destination for the exported video. The most suitable codec really depends on what the source material is.

3. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

What editing software are you using?

And what are the settings for capturing and your sequences? And are the movies HD or HDV to begin with?

Garbage in, Garbage out applies here. If your movies are HDV but you're capturing and/or editing at lower quality you can never get it back by just outputting HD(V). And if your camcorder isn't HD(V) to start with you can't just make it HD(V) quality.

4. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

I am recording on a Mini DV and I capture the video on the default format that the FCP comes on (DV NTSC 48 KHz)

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

OK, so that codec (DV) is standard definition, which limits your resolution for anything downstream.

What camera are you using?

- Martin

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If your MiniDV camera is HDV (which I'm assuming since you're mentioning HD), you actually want your capture and sequence settings set to HDV instead of DV 48KHz. Choose the HDV easy setup that matches your shooting mode and you should be fine.

7. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, so which settings you guys think I should use? my simple projects I use a Panasonic PV-GS65... I tried to use the compressor, but I have no clue which settings might be the best to use...

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

that camera doesn't shoot HD, only SD. so you are using the correct capture presets.

9. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm, I use another camera,
    Panasonic HVX and I got stuck trying to import / export from its memory cards (16 GB)

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Since the media is recorded to solid state cards, no capturing is necessary. It's just a simple matter of copying the data over from the cards to a hard disk, keeping their original file structures intact.

Then, you can Log & Transfer P2 data natively in FCP (there are sequence presets built into FCP 6.x for DVCPROHD, which is what you want).