Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
I want to move my photos to an external hard drive because my MacBook Pro's hard drive storage is almost maxed out.

Only some images seem to export successfully at Jpegs. Others export as white, blank icons, no “jpeg” suffix to the filename, and when I try to open them in Preview I get a message about Color Sync not being able to handle. Photoshop won’t open them either.

However I can still open the unexported originals, ie the photos still in the iphoto library, with Preview or Photoshop, and within iPhoto they behave like photos which exported successfully.

I’ve tried exporting as “original” (what is this)? and as “J-peg” with similar unsatisfactory results.

When I export these problematic images as Tiffs, it works out, but the images get way too big.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Only some images seem to export successfully at Jpegs. ...
It would be helpful if you were to state which version of iPhoto you are using. It seems, however, that you don't under what export means. Exported files are not moved to a different location. When you export, a copy of the file, possibly in a different format, is created at a different location. The original file is unaffected. If you want to remove the original file, then you must do that manually.

You can only export the files that you have selected. Depending on how you have your albums setup, you may have to export your photographs in stages.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Yeah... to extend on misterme, all you need to do is copy the xml iphoto library to the external drive. When you start iphoto the next time, press and hold the option key and you will be prompted to select your library.

If you are using a version earlier than 2008, copy the iphoto library folder to the external drive and then follow-up with the option key to select that library.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
It would be helpful if you were to state which version of iPhoto you are using. It seems, however, that you don't under what export means. Exported files are not moved to a different location. When you export, a copy of the file, possibly in a different format, is created at a different location. The original file is unaffected. If you want to remove the original file, then you must do that manually.

You can only export the files that you have selected. Depending on how you have your albums setup, you may have to export your photographs in stages.

Actually, if you want to get the original, Export -> original will get you the unedited file you originally imported. I'm not sure if it has always done this, or if it's a new feature of iPhoto 09.

lucyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
exporting those iphotos

Thank you all. I'm using iPhoto 6. I select all the photos in a folder, choose export, with 'originals' and 'title' selected as options. some of the images will export smoothly, but then the process gets blocked, presumably by some corrupted image, and I get an '"Unable to export" followed by the string of the location I'm trying to export to' message

I suspect it's because i've been messing with the photos outside of the iPhoto program, ie the folders -- ie the folders named "modified," "original," and "data,"

I guess I could drag everything over from those modified, original, & data folders but then the image titles don't copy over.

sigh. Perhaps just being more selective about what I save is answer?

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
I suspect it's because i've been messing with the photos outside of the iPhoto program, ie the folders -- ie the folders named "modified," "original," and "data,"

You have just identified the #1 support issue with iPhoto/iLife. It seems Apple thinks the average user will understand how all those programs work by osmosis. If you shouldn't do what you're describing, you would think Apple would make it a little harder to do, i.e., the iPhoto or iTunes library should be "packaged", like a vault. After all, there's really no reason for anyone to go poking around in there or, shudder, changing something.

All these iPhoto woes (and many people have them) can be solved by taking the time to read the manual - well, the help file or whatever it is, before using the program. iPhoto is such a great program, you'd think Apple would have great documentation - and that goes for the whole slew of iLife products - but, they don't. There, I've said it. Apple gets a pretty low score from me on this point, though the scant, sparse documentation you get with a new Mac is good, it leaves most users grasping for straws when it comes to learning all the cool apps that also came with that shiny new Mac.

Read the link above about moving the iPhoto library, and then read as much documentation as you can find either on your computer or at the Apple web site about iPhoto before trying to do what you're doing.

You will probably have to recreate your original library, and there's no better exercise for learning how iPhoto works than doing that - you can see how iPhoto builds its database, and why you shouldn't mess with those files!

Happy Shooting!

dmz

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
You have just identified the #1 support issue with iPhoto/iLife. It seems Apple thinks the average user will understand how all those programs work by osmosis. If you shouldn't do what you're describing, you would think Apple would make it a little harder to do, i.e., the iPhoto or iTunes library should be "packaged", like a vault.

As you may know, iPhoto 09 does this.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
As you may know, iPhoto 09 does this.

Also iPhoto '08. Problem is, once Apple put those files in a "package" there were many who went digging around and found out how to get into it. Not so bad for those who do understand the issues, but they went and advised all the newer recruits how to circumvent it, and now the newer ones are the ones in trouble. I have said a million times -- best to stay out of the library in finder -- forget that file is there! It is of no consequence to iPhoto users. Just use the app the way it was intended to be used and let it do the heavy lifting for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.