Problems following unlock - always having to reactivate...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by uefacup81, Mar 1, 2010.

1. uefacup81 macrumors newbie

Hi there

Not too long ago, I got my phone (iPhone 3G) unlocked through O2 UK's "Unlock my iPhone" service, so that I can use it with my German sim-card.

The German sim-card works fine until I either enter Airplane Mode, or turn the device off. When I turn it back on/come out of Airplane Mode, the phone goes through the whole "new sim detected, please connect to iTunes" business.

As you can probably imagine, this can be mightily inconvenient at times. What is causing this problem? Should it be happening in the first place?

Thanks!

James

2. uefacup81 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I would try restoring the phone, set up as new, and reactivate it with the German SIM. That will write new activation data to the phone's memory and may fix the problem.

4. uefacup81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

So just to clarify a couple of points:

• The unlock applied by O2 will still apply if I restore the phone?
    • If I set the phone up as new, how will I be able to resync the phont with all my apps, purchases, contacts etc.,?
    • Will this then create the same problem but with the UK sim card? I'm hoping for a situation where I can just change sim cards whenever I want, like any other unlocked phone

Cheers

James

5. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

with the german sim card inserted in your iphone, resync using itunes...no restore "should" be required! :)

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I agree it shouldn't be required, but then equally the phone shouldn't be requiring that it be connected to iTunes.

I also have an O2 unlocked phone and I can swap the SIM cards around, turn it on and off, go in and out of airplane mode, etc, at will. It never protests, just switches the network over.

uefacup, yes the O2 unlock is permanent now and updates/restores will not break it. You can still get your apps etc back, that's controlled by your iTunes log in. I'd sync your contacts to your PC before you do this to make sure you can get them back too.

Either the restore is going to fix the problem or it's not. Once it's resolved I am guessing you'd be able to restore from back up without making it recur.

7. uefacup81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try but it's still the same :-(

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Looks like we posted at the same time, hope you saw my reply above.

9. Nighthawk15 macrumors newbie

same here

Hey uefacup!

Did u got any solution for this annoying problem? I've the same with an Australian factory unlocked 3GS with German Base/Eplus.
    So you already made a full restore and it still ask continuously for activation?

Thx Moi un Mouton for the link!

Nighthawk