Problems Formatting My iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PhatBrammer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. PhatBrammer macrumors newbie

Last night I bought Mountain Lion and moved the installer to an 8GB USB stick in order to create a bootable drive to clean install it. I shut down my iMac, booted it back up again holding the option key, and two options came up. One was my main hard drive, and the other was the USB drive I had Mountain Lion installed onto. As normal I clicked the USB drive, and instead of another window popping up allowing me to access the Disk Utility, the white Apple screen with the logo in the centre appeared, and underneath the loading icon just kept endlessly spinning round.

After about 2 minutes, the Apple logo changes to a circle with a cross through it, and the loading icon just continues spinning. I eventually had to just shut down my iMac via the button at the back. After that, I tried to format it again, and this time the same thing happened, but after the icon had span round a little bit, the screen went black and loads of white words popped up, followed by my iMac rebooting. Everything works fine still, but I just tried formatting again for the 3rd time, and the same thing I mentioned at the start happened - just endless spinning of the loading icon.

I was wondering if this is a common problem or not, and is it easily fixable?

Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

3. PhatBrammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's the exact page I followed.

I went into my apps, right clicked Mountain Lion, went through the folders exactly as it says, dragged the file into disk utility and put it onto my USB stick that way. Do you think I should maybe try to do it by burning a disc?

Would formatting the USB stick make a difference perhaps?

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, try reformatting the USB stick and make sure it's HFS+ (extended journaled). Then go through the process again. Maybe something just didn't copy over right the first time.

5. PhatBrammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks :D

I'll give that a go, I'll have to redownload Mountain Lion though, cus I just updated my OS cus I thought it wasn't gonna work for ages and I didn't wanna feel like I'd wasted money hahaha.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might try this free app to make the USB key. Works quite well.