Problems from liquid damage almost a month later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vetookie, May 3, 2014.

1. vetookie, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

vetookie macrumors newbie

About a month ago I spilt a tiny amount of a sugary drink on my retina macbook pro's keyboard- literally a few drops around the arrow keys and enter key. At the time, I naively assumed everything would be fine, dabbed up the few drops, and kept going. Looking back on it, I should have immediately switched it off and left it to dry, but it was such a miniscule amount that it didn't even cross my mind.

I had no problems whatsoever with my macbook in the weeks following (I was probably extremely lucky not to have any issues). Everything seemed to be behaving entirely normally, except for the fact that the affected keys were very slightly sticky.

For the last few days, though, my mac has just been behaving slightly oddly:

1. A few times it's not woken up when I've opened the lid.
    2. I've had a couple of 5 second freezes when using safari
    3. Most weirdly, I once picked up and rotated my macbook to show a friend something, and the computer went to sleep. I put it back down, logged in, picked it up, then it went back to sleep again!

Could this be related to the drink spill? Is the sugar in the drink causing corrosion? Or am I worrying needlessly over absolutely nothing?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

1 & 3 are likely the lid/screen open magnetic sensor. 2 is a different issue. Neither likely to be related to the spill after this time IMHO...

3. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

I got drunk and puked all over my MBP 2 years back :D

Next morning, I turned it off and wiped all the red wine induced puke away with a wet cloth. I let it dry for an hour or two and the MBP worked flawlessly for a year after that until I took it to sell. The shop opened up the laptop to check and found red stains all over the inside of the back cover. It's funny, they assumed it was some juice and kept prodding it with their fingers. :p

I had no component issues due to puke damage! :)