Problems getting 3Gs to 4.1 jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ejfontenot, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

So I have an iPhone 3Gs that I just sold on eBay. It was unlocked to 4.0.1 and the buyer asked me to update to 4.1 unlocked. I figured no problem. I loaded the pwnage tool and created the IPSW but was never able to load the custom IPSW. I connected it to tinyumbrella and have my blobs saved to 3.1. My baseband is 05.13.04-6.4_M3S2.

Any ideas whats going on? I am stuck in perpetual recovery mode. I have tried to downgrade back to 4.0.1 and the firmware doesn't fully load. It is just stuck about 75% of the restore cycle. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to ship to the buyer tomorrow.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

put it in DFU mode and use iTunes to load up the custom IPSW.

3. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

I have tried that. I keep getting error 1600.

4. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

c'mon folks, surely someone has run across this. I have tried on both my mac and my PC. tried going all the way back to iOs 4.0 with no success. I have searched on how to get pass error 1600 and nothing has worked. I am at wits end!

what happens if I restore to 4.2.1? will I lose the ability to unlock?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You didn't mention if you were using Tiny Umbrella or a modified host file to redirect to your blobs.

If you update to stock 4.2.1, you will go to a baseband that requires a tethered jb; unlocking will require an ipad baseband and the user won't be able to take it into the apple store.

6. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

yes, using tiny umbrella. have blobs back to 3.1 saved. i have tried restoring to 4.0 and 4.0.2 and they lock-up at 75% load.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

8. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

I have tried both ireb and tiny umbrella. when it kicks out of recovery mode, the connect to itunes graphics show up again.

i have read numerous blogs and read a number of forums. haven't found anyone having the same problem.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I know this is dumb but is it in DFU or Recovery? when the Itunes is installing the cooked firmware.hope I not insulting you just a mistake many make. also where did you get the firmware I personally like http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ try cooking it again.

[​IMG]

10. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

its in DFU mode, I believe. its hard to be 100% when stuck in the recovery loop, but i am almost certain it is. the error 1600 leads me to think it may not be. but what confounds me the most is being unable to restore to an original non cooked software version.

i have tried 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2. All load to the 75% point. I am scared to load to 4.1 because I am not certain if I will lose the carrier unlock ability.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

and tiny umbrella says you have the blobs saved for 4.1? sorry I got nothing else hopefully somebody else has a answer for you.

12. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

13. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

recboot does the same thing TU does. and yes TU has blobs from 3.1 to 4.2.1

anyone comment about what happens if I can successfully load 4.1. serial # starts with 879 baseband is 05.13.04-6.4_M3S2

14. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Try recovery mode instead, different USB cable, USB port, disable security software, and if all else fails, try a different computer.

15. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

tried all of those. both mac and PC. cooked software with pwnage and snowbreeze. no matter what i try, i cannot get any software above 4.0.2 to load in any form.

again, since i don't know what will happen if i try to load an uncooked version of 4.1, i have not tried that. i don't want to lose the unlock.

16. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Have you try restoring to stock 4.0 or 4.0.1?

17. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

yes. I have tried to restore to 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2 in both recovery mode and DFU mode. all of the load 75% of the way then stop.

18. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

so i tried to update to stock 4.1 yesterday...still only will load to the 75% mark.

is this thing bricked?

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

No it's not bricked! Unless it's totally useless I say you just lost some credibility points. Seller one the auction with 4.0.1 you shouldn't have even fooled with it really. Once the buyer has it he can figure it out. Or buyer can wait a week or so and you can do a full update to 4.2.1 both the unlock and jailbreak are very close to complete.

20. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

It just doesn't seem like I can load any firmware to it. Maybe 4.2.1 will work, who knows. I will check with the buyer and see if they want to wait. If not, I will do the right thing and refund their money.

21. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

Will this work for the 3Gs with 05.13.04-6.4_M3S2 and then drop the firmware bundles into pwnage and then load a custom ipsw to get to the unlock? Would I be tethered or untethered?

This is how to restore your iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband without receiving an error on iTunes. All credit goes to member Lense on thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1057032 post 17.

Basically you'll need
    redsn0w 0.9.6b6 (version I used)
    Apple iPhone 4.2.1 firmware http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...a_Restore.ipsw
    and a custom restore image http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JVZF92E

( Reason for this separate post was for awareness and translation to the English language a tad more clear)

Use redsn0w and click Browse ( find the firmware image you downloaded from Apple) Select Yes ( at least I had to)

In redsn0w select Next

In that screen check the box that says "Just enter pwned phone in DFU mode"

Phone will now have a black screen, do not worry it's in DFU mode if you followed the steps correctly.

Open iTunes, hold the option key (Mac) and select the custom recovery image we downloaded through Megaupload

Your phone should now be restored to 4.2.1 and should boot up to something besides the iTunes logo.

Use redsn0w again select Apples firmware, this time ONLY select the option to install Cydia.

Follow the steps, it will take a while for it to completely boot up.

If you get a white icon for Cydia like I did, use redsn0w, browse for the ipsw from Apple, this time select "Just boot tethered right now"

22. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

ok, one more thing...do I update to the stock 4.2.1 first, or do I just jump to redsn0w with the stock 4.2.1?

23. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

so my last attempt worked. since I had an old baseband I was able to use a custom bundle and preserve my baseband at 5.13.xx the. use redsn0w to unlock to an untethered 4.2.1. this jailbreak/unlock stuff seems to get more difficult all the time. thanks to everyone that provided feedback. I have a happy buyer and I am a relieved seller.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

make sure you insure that iPhone for transit... many sad stories have been written here on MR...

25. VinBob macrumors newbie

Help with jailbreak

Hi There,

I have a 3GS with early baseband 5.11.07 and would like to get to 4.2.1 like you have with yours. I am currently running the original iOS 4.0 and is jailbroken and unlocked.

Can someone please advise on the steps and tools required to Jailbreak to 4.2.1 while preserving my baseband for unlock which is critical to me?

Any help/advise much appreciated on this...

Cheers,
    Vin.