Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

violinhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I have a 13 inch 2010 MacBook Pro, and recently bought a Dell u3011 monitor, which has a native resolution of 2560x1600. I am connecting the two with a Mini DisplayPort to DVI-d Dual link cable (this is the one I am using: http://www.pchcables.com/184042.html), I am getting a max resolution of 1600x1200, even though it recognizes the u3011 when I go to Display settings.

I'm currently using the DisplayPort slot on the u3011 for my PC, which is why I would like to connect using the DVI slot. I am able to get full resolution from my PC, so I know it's not the monitor.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this? I am very grateful for your advice. Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Even though it says it is a dual-link adapter, it looks like it is not. The cheapest ones I've seen are around 70-80$ so 16$ doesn't sound right. If your PC has dual-link DVI output, use that DVI for that and then get a mDP to DP cable. Otherwise you need to buy that expensive mDP to DL DVI adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.