Problems importing into iPhoto with Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AZTanya, Oct 14, 2008.

1. AZTanya macrumors newbie

Hi! I have iPhoto 4.2 and I got a new Nikon D40 camera. I'm able to upload my pictures into the program that came with the camera (ViewNX) but I want to be able to import them into iPhoto. With my old camera, a Canon A80, all I had to do was connect the camera to the USB and it automatically launched iPhoto and I could transfer my pictures. When I connect the Nikon it does launch iPhoto but it stays on "waiting" forever and never actually connects. Do I have to just import them into the other program and then copy them into iPhoto or is there a way for it to work the same way the Canon did? TIA for any help! :)

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well I just checked out Apple support and found that Nikon D40 cameras are not listed as being supported until iPhoto 6 (the current version is 7.1.4) so it does not surprise me that your older version of iPhoto does not have built in support unfortunately.

Also what version of the operating system are you using in your Mac? The reason I ask is that even with iPhoto 6 supporting the D40, it requires at least 10.4.10 for that support.

Rather than hooking the camera up (which might require setting the USB mode differently in the Nikon menus) have you tried popping the memory card into a reader instead? That usually solves problems related to hooking up cameras directly.

EDIT: Ok, my mistake- I see that the lists I looked at only cover support for RAW images in the various versions. If you are not shooting RAW then all bets are off- but still would suggest using a low cost card reader instead! ;)

3. AZTanya thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply. I thought it was compatible ~ that explains it! I did figure out a fix. I ended up using Image Capture to transfer the pictures and then from there I can drag them into iPhoto, so it's worth the extra step to be able to use it. Funny thing is I had iPhoto 5 but it ran soooo incredibly slow that I uninstalled and went back to version 4! I appreciate your reply so I don't keep trying to figure out a way to import directly. thanks! :)