Problems importing video: one huge clip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RingoJohn, Sep 30, 2007.

1. RingoJohn macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm trying to use iMovie HD 6.0.3 for the first time. I hooked up a firewire cable to my Panasonic PV-GS80 and clicked "import" and it came across as a single 15-minute clip. It didn't break it into separate clips each time I had pressed stop or pause. The preferences are set up to do each clip separately. Any suggestions? Or will I have to manually cut a lot of clips before I can start editing? Many thanks.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

I have seen this happen before too. I don't know if Apple doesn't detect 'scene breaks' right with some cameras or what. ( I assume when you say you "had pressed stop or pause, you mean when you were filming and not when you were capturing )

As a work around, just capture the clip and then move the play head to the scene break and use the Split clip command ( Cmd-T ). Successive splits will get you what you want.

Good luck!

3. zali0n macrumors regular

How do you do that on iMovie 08? All that command does is open the fonts menu.

4. Guligulipatole macrumors newbie

I have just experienced the same problem, importing from a Panasonic NV-GS400. The mystery is that I successfully imported this tape from the same camera, some months ago. I have checked preferences, and import is set to detect scene changes. I am trying to back up many hours of film, and it is no simple solution to suggest that I now work through these very long imports, cutting them manually. The files will of course be backed up, but very hard to use.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Zalion, did you even look? I'm just giving you a hard time, but the answer took me 4 seconds to find and I don't even use iMovie 008.
    It is under the "Edit" menu -> "split clip" for iMovie 08 ( no keyboard equivalent apparently )