Problems in all areas

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by singingstacy, Nov 4, 2009.

1. singingstacy macrumors newbie

I have had my IPhone 3G for less than 2 weeks. It was great when I got it. But now all these little problems are popping up.

1. Random letters are typed.
    When I text, type in the address bar, or use the keyboard at any time, I can even NOT be touching the keyboard at all, and random letters are typed. If I try to type the word "farm" for example, often it will come out as ffqaNmro.
    One time I was viewing a friend's facebook page and it wrote on her wall! It wrote the letter "p" and submitted it. I had to delete it and then actually write something on her wall to cover it up!

2. The page changes on its own.
    I can be texting and it will take me out of the text page altogether. Lately it likes to open up that Stock application on its own... I have never even touched that one on my own.

3. When I click on any of my apps that I added myself, it takes me there for 1second and then immediately closes the application.
    This is a recent development.

4. The screen goes black and stays black during a call.
    It used to be that when I pulled the phone away from my face, it would light up with options to view the keypad, turn the speakerphone on, end the call, etc. Now, there is nothing you can do to see these options. The phone won't do anything... Not even the locked screen will come up without pushing the button on the top like ten times. This was problematic especially when I tried to call a number that required me to press "0" for the operator -- I couldn't because I couldn't access the keypad.

I have tried doing a hard reboot, plugging it in to the computer to check for updates, and I even reformatted the thing! Wiped it clean! I EVEN took it in to the AT&T store... they told me they didn't know what was wrong with it. :(

2. cohenpts macrumors newbie

it sounds that you have something that is blocking the sensor on the top left of the iphone screen if you have a screen protector try taking it off and cleaning the screen see if it works better without the screen protector

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

In regards to #1-3 happening after a reload, if you have an Apple Store near you, make a free online reservation for the Genius Bar to have them look at it (and probably replace it).

If you don't have any Apple Stores near you, call the 1-800 number and see what they suggest.

4. singingstacy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a case or protector.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

It sounds like a hardware issue (since you reloading the device should relatively rule out the problem being a software issue). Get a hold of Apple -- they're the only folks that can check it.

6. singingstacy thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense... hopefully I can get it to an apple store this week.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Just remember to make a free appt before you go! Chances are the Genius Bar will be packed, and walking in with no appt can lead to a lot of frustration!

If you haven't made one before, check out the link below:
    http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/