Problems in reverting Yosemite shipped in with new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m.bico, Dec 24, 2014.

1. m.bico macrumors newbie

m.bico

I really don't like Yosemite..it's running on mid 2014 rMBP..and i'm thinking about doing a Mavericks clean install via USB..is there any disadvantage regarding this revert/downgrade step?

I saw this warning article though:
    Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than what came with your Mac
    http://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201686

But i don't know..i believe mid 2014 models were announced before Yosemite

My question is: Have any of you guys tried removing the shipped in Yosemite and clean install Mavericks? And does it affect the performance badly or has other side effects?

Thanks

2. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

I wouldn't advise it if you have any issues and require a online restore it's going to put Yosemite back on it. What don't you like about Yosemite? I've been using it since the first beta so I don't remember too much about Maverick. Pretty much everything operates the same. I spend 99% of my time programming / working and little time messing with the OS looks for flaws and tweaks.

I say give it some time, just use your system and enjoy it. It's different visually so it can take some time getting use too. Don't become the person worrying about CPU and RAM temp, how to carry or what % to charge your MP at.:):apple:

3. IndoX macrumors regular

Recovery Drive requires 2 things to be done in order for you to install a OS: the users permission via the App store and an internet connection.

Since the computer comes shipped with Yosemite and was never signed in to "upgrade" to Mavericks I wouldn't risk it.

4. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I think that it should work.

Get the Mac OS 10,9 files and make a USB installer.

5. m.bico, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

m.bico thread starter macrumors newbie

m.bico

Thanks all for your replies..i may add that I just checked system information
    Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B11
    SMC Version (system): 2.19f12
    And from a couple of websites i looked up my serial number:
    Production week: 48 (December) & the other one stated it's 49 (December)

If it's compatible with other MacBooks running Mavericks, does it mean now i can revert back by clean install?
    I have Mavericks from the App Store backed up incase i needed later..which i do!
    Does this info from my system help or permit me to do it?

6. IndoX macrumors regular

Try it. If the computer can be reverted back to Mavericks you will see it when option booting. If it doesn't show up then you can't.

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Actually, even if the machine CAN'T be reverted to Mavericks if the installer is set up on a USB drive and you then boot holding the Option key you'll see the Mavericks installer drive. You can then boot to the USB drive but the install may fail at some point down the road if the machine isn't supported.

8. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Yeah, this is true. There would be no reason for Apple to not allow you to boot from drives where you can boot from.

But if it fails saying it isn't supported, isn't it just a text file saying what machines are supported? Is it possible to edit it?

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's an identifier hard-wired into the logic board. To edit something, you would have to hack open the EFI, which is impossible.

Also, some older OSes like ML don't have driver support for the hardware found in newer Macs.

10. Anitramane, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

Anitramane macrumors 6502

But Ts macbook is a mid 2014 and I think those shipped with mavericks. So having drivers shouldn't be a problem.

So the logic board has a thing saying stop if you're trying to run an OS earlier than whet it shipped with?

Edit: I would give a USB installer a shot, it might work.
    Edit2: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/703188-downgrading-factory-installed-yosemite-please-help This guy says he got it working on his Imac.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Some mid-2014 ones shipped with Mavericks. Later variants shipped with Yosemite.

Yes, you can get 10.9.5 working on them, as they still contain the drivers for them.

But it would mean a clean install. I don't see any reason to downgrade it though, considering its integration with iOS 8. It's also good practice to keep an OS up to date for security reasons.