Problems installing 10.5.3 on my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by geek-inthe-pink, May 31, 2008.

1. geek-inthe-pink macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Well, I got my macbook about two months ago, straight from Apple. It was actually refurbished, but it works fine (was two days old when Apple got it). It's been a great machine so far, but I can't update to 10.5.3 on it... The software update thing works just fine, and when I click 'Restart Now', it works like expected: logs me off, changes backgrounds to that aurora space one, and has a little dialogue showing update progress. But is always stops at maybe 4% when it says Configuring Installation. I left it for maybe 10 minutes, seems there is no progress. If I squint and look hard at the display, the progress bar actually seems to jump forward and BACKWARD a few pixels... And I don't think I'm imagining it. How long do updates normally take? I don't know what problems there could be anyhow, but I'm repairing my disk permissions right now anyway. Any help you could offer me would be nice.:(

Thanks,
    - geek-inthe-pink

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What are you upgrading from ?

and what kind of Macbook is it?

What you described doesn't usually happen with an update.
    When it says "restart now" it should shut down and restart.

3. geek-inthe-pink thread starter macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

I'm upgrading from Leopard 10.5.2

What do you mean? It's two months old, just regular white '08 macbook

Actually, I've said 'Not now' in the past, and then (Later) went to Apple, Shut down... and it just logs off, the background goes to that purple space one, and the dialogue shows up. In just a minute I'm gonna try the restart now option.

Also, on a possibly related note, whenever I repair my disk permissions, it says they ALWAYS differ on this graphics thingy...

Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphicsAppSupport.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuartzComposer.framework", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .

Is this a problem? Is there any way to fix it permanently?

4. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

happened to me but i fixed it and this is how:
    Go to disk utilities and then repair disk permissions of your hard drive.
    Then go to the apple downloads at apple.com/downloads and download there 10.5.3 combo updater. Once its done downloading that just run it and when it says restart just restart and when it comes back up just check to make sure it went well by clicking the apple logo thats at the corner of your screen and click about this mac and it should say version 10.5.3.
    Hope this helps!

5. geek-inthe-pink thread starter macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Yes, it worked! Thanks! The link to the combo thing is HERE if anyone else wants/needs it.

MacRumors Forums rock!! (Now off to post a sleep problem my MB has).

Thanks,

- geek-inthe-pink:):D:apple:

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

no problem. thanks what we all are here for :)
    Enjoy~

7. jussstin macrumors newbie

I'm having this exact problem, but the permission repair isn't working. When I click the Repair Disk Permissions button the status bar starts, and there's a message that tells me Estimated time: less than 1 minute. After about 15 minutes, the status bar is still not quite a quarter of the way. Is there a bigger problem going on?

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Don't worry about that. Just let it keep running. Disk Utility's time estimates are always completely inaccurate. As long as the progress bar keeps marching toward completion then it's running perfectly, just let it keep going.

p.s. if you want to see if your progress bar is really moving, what I like to do is put a post-it note on the screen at the edge of the progress bar. That way there's no way I can fool myself about if the bar moved or not.

9. alstos macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am installing on an iMac. Actually I have tried two different iMacs ( I have a Lab setting). On the reboot after I downloaded the 10.5.3 update, it says "Installing 1 item Configuring installation" and never progresses. What can I do? Permissions repair did not help.

10. unica22 macrumors newbie

I'm working on a MacBook and having the same problem. I tried permissions repair, but still getting stuck at "Installing 1 item configuring installation". Any ideas?

11. unica22 macrumors newbie

Update: I went back and re-read everything in this thread. I followed the link above and installed on my computer that way and it worked! Thanks!

12. alstos macrumors newbie

You have to download the update from the Apple Support site. That one seems to work.