Problems installing 3rd-party RAM in 15" uMBP - Apple Genius Bar question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasp, Sep 15, 2009.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a 2x2Gb upgrade kit from Crucial UK for my Late '08 15" uMBP. However I've hit a problem with installing it - the screws won't come out of the case!

The three long screws and one of the short screws (the bottom right one) come out, but the remaining four short screws just won't budge. I can't apply enough force to my screwdriver without it slipping out of the head (I don't seem to have a Phillips screwdriver small enough to get the small screws out, so am having to use a flathead - not ideal I realise). The screws just don't seem to want to move at all, and consequently I can't get my RAM in!

As my uMBP is still within its year's warranty (I also have AppleCare), what are the chances of my local genius bar installing the RAM for me, or at least getting the case off? To me it seems like a manufacturing defect and something that would require service/repair under warranty if I can't carry out a user-upgradable upgrade...

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You know anyone well at the Genius Bar? :D Apple doesn't do RAM upgrades - you would have to know someone to do it for you. If you're not able to take the screws out, perhaps you should get a screwdriver that actually fits rather than substituting for one you think might work.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'm sure if you went to the Genius Bar, they'd help you install the RAM. It's not difficult, which is exactly why they'd help you -- it'd be a nice change for the Genius, I'm sure.

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to install the RAM myself, I just can't get the case off without destroying the screws! One of them doesn't appear to sit well in the case anyway (possibly cross-threaded?), before I tried to take the case off.

Any idea on the specifications (size, etc) of the screwdriver I need to get the small screws out, since its a different size to the long screws (for which I have a screwdriver that fits)?

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been doing some poking around on the internet (ifixit.com) and apparently all you need is a Phillips #0 screwdriver - it turns out this is what I successfully used to get the long screws out, but it just won't get the smaller screws out (its a decent quality bit for the screwdriver, don't think I've ever used that size before!).

Has anyone else had similar problems with their uMBP?

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It should just be the same size screw driver, I've never had any issues removing the screws. Obviously, you don't want to strip the screws... so, if that isn't working, either put a little more muscle into it or go to an Apple Store -- if they strip the screws, it's their fault, not yours.