Resolved Problems installing iOS 5 GM on iPad 2 using Win7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darkfiber, Oct 6, 2011.

1. darkfiber, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Ok. So I am running Windows 7 64bit. I installed iTunes 10.5 Beta 6 for Windows 7 (64bit). I was able to install iOS 5 GM with no problems on my iPhone 4. However, when I try to update my iPad 2 to the iOS 5 GM I keep getting a "unrecognized USB device" error message from Windows after the iPad 2 restarts to get ready for the restore. iTunes then tells me it failed. I was able to restore from my last backup with no problems so I am back to running 4.3.5. If I had to guess I would say that maybe iTunes isn't installing the correct USB device driver for the iPad 2, but that doesn't make sense because Windows has no troubles seeing the iPad 2 any other time. I might just wait for the final release of iTunes 10.5 to see if that does the trick, but I was curious if anyone else running Windows 7 (64bit) had this issue and if there was a fix?

UPDATE: Problem (kinda) Resolved. See my posts below. :)

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Did you download the iOS GM5? for the iPad as there are multiple variants of the GM for the different devices.

3. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Yup. I have a Wi-Fi only iPad 2 and used the iPad2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw file. Is that the correct one?

4. Jakeblu macrumors regular

That's the correct file, well at least its the one that installed IOS5 on my WiFi iPad2. You say you have iTunes beta 6, isn't it supposed to be beta 7 at least.

5. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Well for Windows 7 (64bit) at least, beta 6 was the latest I could find. As I said, it worked fine for updating my iPhone 4 to the iOS 5 GM. But a newer version I suppose might fix the USB driver issue I am seeing.

6. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Your right, my bad. I am using Beta 7. Is there a Beta 8 for Windows 7 (64bit) or newer? If not I guess I will just wait for the final release of iTunes 10.5.

7. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Okay I FINALLY got this work. I had to fight with Windows to reinstall a USB drivers in order for it to see my iPad 2. Very bizarre because Windows had no problem seeing my iPad 2 under the previous version of iOS. Even when I gave up trying to restore the iPad 2 iOS 5 GM it would allow me to restore from my backup with no issues at all.

In any case I am not exactly sure what steps eventually worked but I think I uninstalled the unrecognized USB device under the Device Manager in Windows 7 and maybe restarted the Apple Mobile Device Driver and something things explained in this Apple Support page...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

Anyway eventually I think I told Windows to download or find the latest device driver. It did that and then told me to reboot. I then went back into iTunes Beta 6 for Windows 7 (64bit). I then did the iOS 5 restore and it took it that time, the iPad 2 rebooted. I could tell it now has iOS 5 because of the new iPad logo graphics appeared. It is now restoring my data from backup.

Yay!

Not sure if that was a weird issue with the iTunes 10.5 beta or not. Hopefully others won't have this issue with the final release of iTunes 10.5.

8. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Have you been able to sync your iPad to iTunes using beta 6? I can't seem to sync.

9. darkfiber, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

No I haven't. While I was able to get Windows to finally see my iPad 2 long enough for iTunes 10.5 B6 to restore it to the iOS 5 GM, I am no longer able to connect my iPad 2 to my PC without getting a "USB Device Unrecognized" error message (the same error I was getting when I was trying to restore iOS 5 GM to my iPad 2). I tried all sorts of things from uninstalling iTunes, restarting the Apple Mobile Device Service, removing the unrecognized USB device, rescanning for new devices, told Windows to look for new driver etc... I can't do anything to get Windows to recognize my iPad 2, which means iTunes can't see it and I can't sync it. I think I will just have to wait until the final version of iTunes 10.5 for Windows 7 (64bit) and hope it has some driver or whatever is needed to fix the issue. Windows and iTunes 10.5 B6 have no problems seeing and connecting to my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 though.

10. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

That's interesting but expected I guess. I also cannot connect to iTunes. All my data and apps are on my iPad anyway. Loving iOS 5.

11. darkfiber, Oct 11, 2011

darkfiber

I finally got my iPad 2 to connected via USB on Windows 7 (64bit). I just installed the final release of iTunes 10.5 today. After I did that I plugged in my iPad to one of the USB ports on the side of my Dell monitor (which worked fine in previous versions of iTunes and iOS) and I got the same error when it tried to install the driver for the device when I unplugged it and plugged it back in I got the USB Device not recognized error. I then tried the same USB cable which is connected to a USB port in the back of my Dell monitor that works fine with my iPhone 4. Same error message. I then connected the USB cable to the other USB port in the back of my Dell AND IT WORKS! It installed the driver just fine and iTunes sees my iPad. But if I try to connect it to those other USB ports I get the USB not recognized error. Very weird. The good news is that I have a USB port it likes, so I guess I will just use that one when I need to. Since we now have wireless syncing hopefully I won't need to connect it too often.

UPDATE: Of course now when I plug my iPhone 4 in I now get the same USB issues I had with my iPad. If I plug my iPhone 4 into the same USB port that works with my iPad then it works with my iPhone 4. Very annoying.

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have a 23" Dell Monitor, and I do have USB troubles with it, even with the Apple Keyboard and iPad sync. Connecting directly to the PC or a reliable USB HUB is the best choice, it will avoid you several headaches.

13. darkfiber, Oct 11, 2011

darkfiber

Yeah, I know what you are saying. Although when I was using the iTunes 10.5 Beta 6 for Windows my USB port on the PC itself (directly connected to the Motherboard) was having the same issues. I just tried the a USB port on my PC it and it seems to work fine for both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I should mention though that the USB ports on my 24" Dell 2405 worked fine up until iTunes 10.5 with my iPhone and iPad which is what is confusing me. Other USB devices still work fine with my Dell.

Now I just disconnected my iPad 2 which was working fine directly connected to my PC and plugged it into a port on my Dell that was having the "USB not recognized" issue. I got that same error message. So I left the iPad connected, then powered the iPad completely off then powered it back on and Windows was then able to connect to it. Weird. Maybe it is some Apple USB device driver issue that they will fix in a future version of iTunes hopefully.

UPDATE: In any case as it stands now, Windows 7 can see and was able to install the USB driver for my iPad 2 (iOS 5) when I connected it to one of the main USB ports on the PC itself. My iPhone 4 (iOS 5) works when I connect it to the USB hub in my Dell 2408 monitor. For whatever reason the iPad 2 now that it is running iOS 5 and my PC has iTunes 10.5.0.142 (Win 7 64bit) doesn't like 3 out of the 4 USB ports on my Dell 2408 panel. I was hoping to get the iPad to work with my Dell's USB ports (for sake of convenience) but as long as it works on the PC USB ports that works for me. I have spend enough time troubleshooting this issue.

14. CFXK macrumors newbie

You are a life saver. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and could not get get my iPad to update to iOS 5 after it went public today. iTunes had no problem recognizing my iPad, no problem downloading the software and backing up my iPad, but the second it tried to install iOS 5, it would just stop installing give me an error message. Spent four hours methodically trying everything in various combinations from the trouble-shooting page, as well as every usb port I could find ---except, of course, the the ports on the back of my computer that connect directly to the motherboard, since that meant crawling down under my desk into some very confined and somewhat inaccessible space.
    Should have done that first off, since that was the only solution that worked. Never would have thought of it without this post that I found though a Google search. And I only registered for the forum so I could thank you. So THANKS.

15. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Glad it helped. Troubleshooting issues like that can be a major pain. Like you the main reason I wasn't using the motherboard USB ports is because of their location. I have a big mid-tower PC on the floor and it is too far away to run my iPad USB cable to, so I have been using the USB ports on my Dell 2408 LCD panel, which up until iOS 5/iTunes 10.5 worked perfectly. It was maddening because my iPad running iOS 4.3.5 would work fine connected to my Dell USB port and then when I went to restore using the iOS 5 GM the iPad would be put in DFU mode I think and at that point Windows could not talk to it. So my only option was to restore back to 4.5.3. I wasted hours restore my iPad 2 or 3 times (which takes a very long time). Eventually I was able very brieftly to get Windows to see my iPad and I was able to get iOS 5 installed. My iPhone 4 running iOS 5 has no issues connecting to my PC using my Dell monitors USB ports. Grrrr....

In any case now we have Wi-Fi sync which is awesome. Being able to drag and drop my music and other media to my devices in iTunes without having to have them connected via USB is nice.

16. mcomet macrumors newbie

mcomet

Ahhh thank you for this!

I too have been plugging into my large 30" HP LP3065 monitor... sure enough the same USB errors would pop saying USB Device Unrecognized in Windows Vista. Using the cable directly into the computer did the trick and let the restore/update continue... it's in progress now... I have noticed that when plugging into the monitor it did say "not charging" since the power level there I guess isn't enough...that should have been a clue...

mcomet

17. KwarkIos macrumors newbie

Since I updated to IOS 5, i've got the same problem with my Ipod Touch 4G. When the Ipod is plugged in the USB port, it's still asking for connection with Itunes. After I downloaded the IOS 5 for my device I got error 1602/4, maybe that is helping? Anyway, I tried every USB port there is on my laptop, but still no connection. Specs: ASUS N53J, with 1 USB 3.0 port and two 2.0 ports. I've done everything that Apple Suppurt is asking me to do (troubleshooting for 4 hours now).

Could you guys help me out? Thanks!

18. r3dko macrumors newbie

Solution to iOS5 Driver Issues

Hello all,

I spent a few hours on 'launch day' trying to get my iPhone4 and iPad(1) to connect to my computer. Apple apparently forgot to sign two of the drivers, and Windows 7 refuses to play nice. I posted a walk-through of the steps that i took to fix this on my blog. Follow the steps in the link below, and you should be able to avoid any other driver-related issues.

http://r3dko.com/2011/10/iphone-itunes-apple-mobile-device-issues/

Let me know if you have any trouble by commenting on the site or getting ahold of me on Twitter (@R3dko).