problems installing Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JUaNiT0, Mar 17, 2011.

1. JUaNiT0 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to Macs, but I'm usually pretty good with computers in general. I was recently given an Imac and needless to say, I was a bit lost at first but i caught on pretty quick. I recently have been been trying to fix a few things with my Imac. My Pioneer dvr-106d had been giving me problems reading and successfully burning discs. I tried flashing my drive and changing it from firmware revision a612 to firmware revision 1.08 and no such luck. I solved that problem by simply cleaning the drive's laser. After several wasted blank discs and about a week of lack of sleep, I managed to burn a mountable copy of leopard 10.5.6 to a single layer disc as seen in several techniques online. The installer loads and even gets as far as checking the disc for consistency, but once the installation actually begins it fails and i have no clue as to why. I tried using DVRFlashX to flash my drive back to the A612 firmware revision to see if that made a difference but i got nothing. I've seend plenty of posts where people with the same exact iMac and specs have installed successfully. Could anyone tell me exactly what all the system requirements are for installing it successfully and what could be lacking from my attempts? Here are the specs on my Mac and my drive as of right now:

Machine Name: iMac
    Machine Model: PowerMac6,3
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 768 MB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.7.8f1

and:

Firmware Revision: A612
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)
    Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/PatchBurn-pioneerdvdrwdvr106d.drprofile
    Cache: 2000 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: No

Here are my graphics specs also in case that matters:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5200
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB
    Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0329
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 2079

by the way I am currently running Tiger 10.4.1 trying to go to Leopard 10.5.6. I was gunna try a clean install but whats the point if the installer is failing now. I don't wanna be left without an installed operating system.
    P.S. when the installer ails it says the installer wasn't able to find what it needed to install. Check internet connection or contact the support from Apple basically. Any help would be great thx guys.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

hmm.... a bootable copy of leopard 10.5.6 you want to burn to disc...so you downloaded it via torrent? Sorry but that's piracy and you will get no help here.

3. tug macrumors 6502

why dont you just buy a copy of snow leopard and do a clean install! whats the point of going to 10.5.6 when this will take you (with all the updates apple will send you) to 10.6.6.

oh by the way, torrents are not the way to go in this forum :apple:

4. JUaNiT0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, it's a back up of a actual Leopard Install disc Set given to me by the previous owner of the iMac along with it I guess to sweeten the deal for me, but as i said i'm new to Macs and now pretty much near nothing about Macs nonetheless upgrading or updating them. I only wish to have Leopard because it's the only OS X version i've used since being re-introduced to Macs since elementary school. All i know is the disc i was given failed on install and I'd just like to have the Real Deal, but idk any of the specs really necessary to get the job done.

5. JUaNiT0 thread starter macrumors newbie

IDK.. from what i was told by my friend who has a Macbook running Snow Leopard, he said my iMac probably wouldn't support it because i do not have an intel mac. As i stated before, having just received this iMac and not using a mac since the 90's... i'm completely clueless... That's why i'm reaching out to anyone who can offer help. If I was focused on pirating, I'm pretty sure I could go to plenty of other forums and have gotten a solution already. I'd like to do this on the straight and narrow please.

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

Check out the OP - he doesn't have an Intel Mac - it's PPC.

You can try buying a retail version of Leopard (you might be able to get it cheap) and try installing that. Either that or contact Apple for replacement restore discs (you will probably get Tiger though).

7. tug macrumors 6502

8. JUaNiT0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. Thanx i'll look into that. One more rookie question, if i do purchase the retail version is there anything i should be aware of to buy the right one? I thought i've seen something somewhere about installer discs having numbers on them being for specific models only

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

The retail (black discs if I remember right) will work on any compatible Mac out there that can physically run Leopard (doesn't matter what version of Leopard is included on it).

What you are thinking of are the gray restore discs which are model specific. You should not get those.