Problems installing Mac OS X 10.4 through Target Disk Mode.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Hi! My 366 MHz Lime iBook with 576 MB RAM is having a lot of problems with Tiger (The retail disk). I put the disk in a Core Duo (1.66 GHz) Mac Mini and started it up in Target Disk Mode, so the DVD showed up in my iBook, but when I clicked on it and restarted to install it, the Mac Mini ejected the disk right after it turned on. So, it was frozen on the Apple logo until I forcefully shut it down, and then when I put the DVD back in started it (The iBook) up again, the Apple logo was a weird combination of white and black horizontal lines (Though the background was still grey). I ended up shutting it down AGAIN and then it booted from the pattern of black-and white dots, and I had to do it one more time, and it worked when I booted it, but it wouldn't recognize the DVD. When I put the DVD in the Mini when it wasn't in Target Disk Mode, it made this loud grinding/buzzing noise and took a really long time to recognize files. I'm thinking it's a bad DVD, but I hope not, and I'm not completely sure. Any suggestions?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Mini's drive could be going bad, but it's unlikely. How are you trying to startup from the DVD? Via the Startup pref pane or the boot menu (option at startup)? I suggest trying to boot from the boot menu. When shutting down Mac OS X, it tell all external volumes to eject. It sees the Tiger DVD in the Mini as one and tells it to eject. The boot menu way won't do that and it should boot without a problem.

3. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! It recognized the disk and initially showed the Apple logo upon startup, but after a few seconds the Mini ejects the DVD and the iBook freezes. I'm not sure what could cause that, does anybody have any ideas?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You wouldn't happen to have another PowerPC Mac with a DVD drive would you? If you do, put the iBook into Target Disc Mode and use the other Mac to install Tiger onto its hard drive.

5. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

A WAG here....

I don't it might seem a bit obvious and what out there, but do you have another firewire cable to use? I know it does not seem logical, it would not really explain the freezing of your iBook and the Mini crapping out the drive. But I know weirder things have happened in my time with all things computers.

~Drake

6. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! I've booted the install DVD on a 1 GHz AlBook, and it was stuck on the Apple logo for about 15 minutes until I finally had to shut it down. I've tried Target Disk Mode, but it won't even show up in my iBook (The PowerBook's HDD won't show up either).

EDIT: The DVD shows up in my AlBook, though, and gave the option of booting from the install disk, but the same thing happened.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

8. Ariii, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I just booted it again from the DVD on the AlBook and the installer finally showed up, except the iBook never showed up when I used Target Disk Mode for some reason. I'm thinking the AlBook has a bad FireWire port.

EDIT: I think I'm right about that, an external HDD won't show up in the FireWire port either, and I've tried multiple cables. I have an optical drive from a broken G4 iBook that might work, how might I be able to use that? Or with what I have, is there no solution at all?