Problems installing MS Office 2008 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spaceman1, Dec 7, 2009.

1. spaceman1 macrumors newbie

I have just purchased the full version of MS Office for mac after using the free trial version for 30 days (surely not uncommon). The installer reports that it cannot install "as newer versions of the software exist". I have tried deleting (apparently the same as uninstalling with OSX) the Office bundle. Same error. Any help gratefully received.

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

if you just deleted it by dragging the office folder to the trash that is likely the problem. There is a program called remove office its buried within the additional tools folder that is inside the microsoft office folder in your applications folder (typical microsoft). Not sure how you can get it back now though so that you can uninstall it properly since it won't reinstall.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You could manually search for anything called Microsoft and drag them to the trash, such as Microsoft User Data in your Documents folder. (Do you have other Microsoft applications, such as IE for example?) Or, if what you already put in the Trash is still there, try to put it back where it came from. Or, it might be possible to run the uninstaller off of the discs, but I'm not sure about that.

4. spaceman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems Installing MS Office 2008 for Mac

Thanks Gregg2; I deleted (rather than uninstalled the MS Office software as there was an article, somewhere on this website that advised this (other users beware!). I found the "Remove Office" App, but now I need to resurrect that from the junk - Can you advise me how to undelete in OSX?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Resurrect Remove Office from the junk?? If it's still sitting in the Trash folder, just drag it back. Mine is in Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office.

Uninstall from the disc?? You could try. Put the disc in and look for Remove Office and see if it will run.