Problems installing OSX Lion - new Mac Mini 2011

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jfrstr, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jfrstr macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm having major problem with my brand new Mac Mini.
    I wanted to upgrade it right away after reading so many succeful upgrading reports on various forums so I bought a 120GB Intel 320 SSD disk and 2x4 GB of Kingston 1333mhz ram. I swapped the drives right away and idiotically used to original drive in a case to create an external installation USB-drive (my 4GB USB drives didn't work).
    I then created a bootable USB-disk with the external original drive and tried to install but only get the circle with slash after selecting the drive in the "options" menu. If I remove the USB-drive I get a flashing folder icon. If start holding down Command + S I get a message saying that the "version of OSX is not supported on this platform".
    I also tried using the Recovery Assistant HD to create a bootable recovery tool but that gives the same results.

In short:
    I can't install OSX Lion on a brand new Mac Mini with upgraded HD and Ram. I don't have the original installation anymore. I should've cloned the original drive but I didn't.

Am I out of luck?

2. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Try internet recovery mode. That worked for me in the exact same scenario. Command + Option + R at the bong. Also make use you have a USB keyboard.

3. jfrstr thread starter macrumors newbie

...aaand five minutes later I'm installing Lion. Can't believe I haven't stumbled over this after googling the problem the whole weekend. Thanks!

Yeah, it took me a while to realize that about the USB Keyboard too, had to drive by the office to find one of those old relics.

Huge thanks!

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Wireless keyboards with a dongle also work because they can pair without OSX.