Problems Installing OSX on new hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArcticEmmet, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ArcticEmmet macrumors newbie

Over a year ago my Mac's hard drive broke, anyway it was going to cost 200 euro to get it fixed and I had already got the computer fixed twice since I had got it in 2007. I didn't want to pay that much when it would probably break again so I just left it alone until about a week ago when I decided to buy a new hard drive and install it myself.

Anyway the hard drive seems to work ok, but when I try to install Tiger (came with the laptop) about halfway through the second disk I get a message saying please try installing again. Is this a problem with the Install DVD (it worked perfectly when I first got my laptop but that was about 3 and a half years ago), in which case would buying Snow Leopard fix it (I was considering doing this anyway). Or is it a problem with the hard drive or something wrong with the computer itself?

2. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Please post model identifier for your computer and model number of hard disk. Otherwise, it will be hard to be of any further assistance.

3. ArcticEmmet thread starter macrumors newbie

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Possibly its the install CD if it starts to install - Id try getting 10.6 first (as its the cheapest way to test if its the OS CD on the HDD) - have you heard any scratching from the HD or other loud noises?

5. ArcticEmmet thread starter macrumors newbie

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Is the disc scratched/damaged in any way - I doubt its a hardware problem as it 1) boots and 2) installs partway - Id go snag a copy of 10.6 and try that :)