problems installing quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sarahbarah, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sarahbarah macrumors newbie

i'm using a mac osx10.5.8 and tried installing quicktime 7 on it. the installation process went fine, it said that it was successful and told me to restart my computer but after i restarted i couldn't find the quicktime app anywhere. I've tried a couple of times and the same thing keeps happening. Can someone help please?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Mac OS X 10.5.8 already has QuickTime Player installed. Only in 10.6 is it an optional install because of QuickTime Player X. By default, QuickTime should be in /Applications, are you saying it isn't there on your system? Are you perhaps looking in ~/Applications instead?

3. sarahbarah thread starter macrumors newbie

i deleted it to try and reinstall because it never really worked properly :(

and i'm quite sure i'm looking in the right place. it's where all my other applications are

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How did you reinstall QuickTime? Did you download it from the web? Or did you run the installer from the DVD?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by this? Almost every Mac application relies on the QuickTime frameworks. The Quicktime Player is just one such application. If you install the Perian codec suite and the Flip4Mac WM Component, then virtually every Mac application will handle just about every media format on the planet. So, what exactly wasn't working that motivated you to delete the Quicktime Player?

6. sarahbarah thread starter macrumors newbie

It would play some movie formats with just the video and not the audio, other formats would work fine. It was just very hit and miss so I decided to try and reinstall it to see if it would work better.

@JediMeister - I downloaded it off the apple website

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hate to say it but you may need to reinstall 10.5 and re-update to QuickTime 7.6.9 and Mac OS X 10.5.8. After you do so, I recommend examining the contents of your /Library/QuickTime and ~/Library/QuickTime folders for any conflicting plugins and components. Remove all but the Apple Intermediate Codec and the MPEG2 Playback components and restart. Restore them one or two at a time, making sure to restart the computer in between to isolate which components are causing the audio and video separation you had encountered previously.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Heavens to Betsy! There was nothing wrong with your Quicktime installation. Install Perian and Flip4Mac.

9. sarahbarah thread starter macrumors newbie

really? oh no.. so my best bet is to reinstall the whole OS? well i'm having problems running indesign too so i might just do that then. thanks for the help everyone :)