Problems installing RAM, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nismo86, Dec 13, 2007.

1. nismo86 macrumors member

I'm trying to install 4 gig of RAM and its hard as hell to get them in there. How do I do it so i'm make sure i'm doing it right?

I keep trying to put the L-shape piece back in and its not going on straight.

After I install it how do I check on the computer if the mac recongizes it?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You need to push them in pretty hard. You will feel them click into place. After all if back together, click the Apple on the left of the taskbar and select, "About This Mac", it will show how much memory is installed. Hopefully what you added will be correct.

There is a notch on the small end of the L Bracket that needs to go in first.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

This does not sound good. Don't force it and don't do anything more. Pack everything up and take it a computer store. Seriously, don't force it.

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

click the apple in the menu bar and click "about this Mac" and it'll tell you how much ram memory is installed.

EDIT: beaten to the punch.

5. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Got it in.. I guess I did it right, I just pushed REAL hard and it went in. +1 bobio for telling how to figure it out.

Says

"4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM"

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

That's it, you did it. I just upgraded mine last week.

7. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

LOL, well I have the black macbook.. after man handling it, it needs some cleaning.. what do you guys suggest I use to clean it?

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Damp washcloth does the best job without risking anything.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep in mind there isn't always a "click". Neither of my sticks clicked when I pushed them in. In fact, I kept on pulling them out because I was sure I was jamming them in and wrecking the machine. Eventually, I just got tired of it and turned it on again. It started, which suggested things were good, and when I got to the syspref screen, I saw my 2gb, and all was good. So yeah--as long as you've got the slots in the right direction, just push it in until you meet some solid resistance, then stop, screw, and try to boot.

10. xer0 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity what name band ram did you get, where did you get it and how much did you pay?

11. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

I can't remember the name right now. But it was $70+tax for 4 gigs after a MIR

12. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I found it easier to turn the MacBook around so that the slots were facing away from me and then pulled rather than pushed the new RAM into place, I think only one of my sticks actually clicked.