Problems installing Windows 8.1 using Boot Camp...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yertleturtle, Oct 20, 2014.

1. yertleturtle macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 mac pro (intel) with two internal drives running os X 10.10. I have ISO files for both windows 7 and windows 8.1. I've used bootcamp to make various attempts at bootable USBs and have properly partitioned my second internal drive for windows. However - whenever my mac attempts to boot from the USB drive it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor and nothing else happens.

I would attempt to burn a DVD from the ISO files but my superdrive is broken. When I hold down alt on startup the USB does not show. I've installed windows on this machine before without problems but I have always used the DVD drive.

I don't want to buy another superdrive as I would only use it for installing windows and nothing else. Can anyone tell me if there is another way to get this done?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

On any Mac with a Superdrive, Apple restricts installations to using the Superdrive only. As you've come to see, it will not work with USB installers.

Aside from replacing the Superdrive yourself, there is a workaround using Virtualbox.