Problems installing XP SP3 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JWest, Dec 19, 2007.

1. JWest macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried installing the newly released XP SP3 Release candidate? I keep getting an error during installation that says something to the effect of "Setup requires an additional 4 megabytes of space in C:WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$". That's not completely verbatim, but close enough. I've heard that others have had the same problem installing SP3 on their Macs. And no, I don't really need the extra 4 megs, my windows partition has almost 30 gigs free. Any ideas?

2. giantsfan1975 macrumors newbie

3. Kelleheretic macrumors newbie

Kelleheretic

Same problem here. Worked fine on an old Dell, then crashed on the MacBook.

4. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Installed it last week on VMware (Boot Camp partition) without any issues. Are you using VM software?

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The OP mentions 'partition' so Boot Camp is being used (unless, highly unlikely XOM)

7. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using boot camp (the last beta on Tiger, I don't have Leopard yet :p).

8. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

9. makku macrumors member

The same thing happened when people tried upgrading XP to SP2 on Macs. Try slipstreaming the install disc.

10. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not an install disc, it's basically just a massive update that you install the way you'd install a regular program.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You misunderstood his post. He suggested integrating the service pack with your Windows installation disc. However, I caution against this because it will probably eliminate the possibility of upgrading to the final service pack release without another reinstall.

12. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I see. Well, any other ideas?

13. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Sorry about bumping up an older post, but I am having the same issue and I would really like to be able to install Service Pack 2 without having to reinstall Windows XP. Is there a way?

14. blackslayer macrumors regular

I have the same problem as u guys too. I guess we will just have to wait for the final pack to be up.. anyway this is just the release candidate for us to try it out..