Problems jailbreaking 3g iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Mactagonist, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

It is a 64gb iPod Touch 3g. It was running 3.1.2 and was jailbroken with BlackRa1n before. I erased it through the on screen settings menu. It is now on the 'recovery screen' (usb plug going to an iTunes icon).

When I run BlackRa1n it completes normally with the proper message but the Touch is stuck on the screen with Geohot's goofy face. Eventually the white 'thinking' ring appears and stays there until the iPod reboots (white Apple appears) and then returns to the recovery screen (usb cable going to iTunes logo).

Any advice? Or am I forced to allow iTunes to upgrade it to 3.1.3 and loose my jailbreak?

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

If you used "Erase all Content and Settings" it has wiped the whole device including the operating system so Blackra1n has nothing to boot. You will need to do a complete restore to reload the OS.

3. Mactagonist thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok. And since it is a third generation model there is no way to load anything other then 3.1.3 right?

Crap.

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I have read a few posts of others having used the 2nd gen 3.1.2.ispw to sucessfully restore back to 3.1.2 on their 3rd gen touch, here is one such link.

[GUIDE] Downgrading iPod Touch 3G 3.1.3. to 3.1.2. and jailbreaking.

5. DaMob macrumors member

Quick question about jailbreaking a 3th gen 32gb with 3.1.3 firmware

Is it possible to screw up the process so that the iPod becomes completely useless? Or is it always possible to use the "recovery" button in iTunes?

So is jailbreaking a safe process? Cause when I had a PSP, you had to do it completely right, or otherwise you could throw it away.

Thanks!

6. Mactagonist thread starter macrumors 65816

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Supposedly, you can't brick an iPod Touch so no worries :]
    And yes, it's a safe process. It's a click and you're done lol...can't really mess that up unless...you clicked the "X" button :p

8. DaMob macrumors member

I've entered this message in the wrong thread, so my apologies

9. ammowasted macrumors newbie

Hey MacTagonist, how did you get it to work? Even after editing the host file, I still cannot get my 3.1.3 iPod touch to downgrade. I had it at 3.1.2 blackra1n'ed before, but I put it into recovery by accident, and couldn't go back to 3.1.2, and I put it to 3.1.3...am I SOL?