Problems making 10.5.8 usb

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rex450se, Mar 9, 2014.

1. rex450se macrumors regular

Now I have done think before but never had a problem so I don't know what I am doing differently. i was to do a fresh install of 10.5.8 on my PowerBook G4. I know it can't boot to the usb, but when I did it before I used a Mac OS X 10.4 install cd to get me to disk utility and I was able to use the image off the usb to restore the hard drive with a fresh 10.5.8. I am using the 10.5.8 PowerPC version that's floating around, which is what i used last time. The picture is the error I keep getting. Hopefully someone can help me and tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks

Victor

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All USB equipped PowerPC Macs can boot from a USB device except for the Blue and White PowerMac G3, the PCI graphics PowerMac G4, the tray loading iMac G3. I suggest formatting the USB drive with APM in Disk Utility then using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the pirated disk image's contents to the USB drive.

3. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I wouldn't use a USB stick. I would buy a Leopard DVD that's not pirated. :)

4. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked for them, but I'm not paying $60 and up for a computer that is 10 years old and not worth that itself. And honestly as great as it runs today, with its age and use it could have a major failure before the cd got her through the mail. I was just wanting to do a fresh restore of the OS on it as I have done before, and ran into some problems at I've never had before.

5. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Call AppleCare. Sometimes you can get a Leopard CD for $20 or less from them. I would give it a shot, because what's to lose besides 5 minutes on the phone?

6. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

And you can get down off your high horse trying to make it sound like you would do the legal thing and buy the disk. But isn't this your thread trying to do the same thing?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1688365

Why wouldn't you just buy the CD at the time? You had your reasons I have mine. I needed help with something and came to the forums, not for someone to act like they would do the right thing when in fact they didn't .

Victor

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He did buy a disc in another thread only after examining the situation.

8. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Big difference. I made a disk image, not pirated. I have a thing about being legal. Need proof? This is my disk:

Attached Files:

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Double click on the image (assuming not pirated -- no piracy aid here) and restore the volume that appears under the disk image to the USB.

10. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need proof, I really don't care. My point is I came here for some help, your post offered nothing. I have a 10.4 disc, but at some point it was legally upgraded to 10.5 but that disc is no where to be found. Unlike the newer OS's I can't just redownload it when needed through the App Store. So I improvised.

Victor

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

"Ain't nobody got time for that". If this disk is pirated then you sir, are the reason why they want to censor the Internet. Thanks a lot.

12. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Macrumors does not help with or support piracy.

13. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

And if you have a thing about being legal why try the usb first at all? Why not just buy the disc in the first place.

14. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I was experimenting. I also have threads about booting Linux off of USB. I did eventually use the disk, because I couldn't use USB for whatever reason.

15. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

And would there be a difference if I was wanting to do this because the PowerPC version is smaller than the standard version that has the binaries for Intel also and optimized for PowerPC machines, and had the disc but wanted to use this version? I'm just wondering. At this point I may just use the 10.4 cd I have and leave it at that.

Victor

16. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Apple never made a PPC-only Leopard disk. All Leopard disks are universal.

17. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but there is a version of 10.5.8 that has all of the intel related stuff striped from it, because there is really no need for it. It was not done by Apple. I would relate it to the jailbreak community tinkering with the OS. People have tinkered with the OS to optimize it for PowerPC's. Would you feel differently about the situation if I had a Standard Apple cd, but still wanted to use the tinkered with version?

Victor

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreakers tinker with their own iOS. They don't redistribute already jailbroken tinkered with IPSWs, which it what this would equate to. Best thing, just install regular legal Leopard then strip out the Intell code yourself.

19. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Exactly as Intell said: iOS user tinker with their own OSs, already installed legally on their phone. If you want to install a legal version of Leopard, and then strip all intel code from it, go ahead. There are even apps to help you. You cannot, however, download a pre-modified .iso not legally distributed by Apple.

20. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

Well I've started the install of 10.4 since that's the disc I had already. I'll just leave it as is unless a Leopard disc pops up cheap on Craigslist.

Victor

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There are programs to strip it out. To be honest, those "pre-stripped" versions normally have issues. If it comes out of Apple natively, I know an Apple Engineer worked on it and not John Doe in his mother's basement and a PowerMac. If you want to optimize it that is fine just do it yourself.

22. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I'd guess that the OP in a past life was a Windows user, where piracy is the norm.

23. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

Or a Linux user like me, where software is just a free download away...

24. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

I won't say that I've never pirated anything, but the last song I pirated was on Napster and it had to have been about 1999 or 2000. I'm all for paying developers for their work. I know I can't do it. When I talked with Apple they said these were no longer available. So at that point it's irrelevant how much I spend on the copy, it's not going to developer or owner of the rights to that software. So then it's paying inflated prices for an outdated piece of software that has been paid for previously. Currently I'm out of work and while I will spend money if it's needed I didn't see that this was needed. If I had copied the 10.4 disk I do still have and needed to make a disk image because the cd was damaged I would have probably received the help I needed. I wasn't asking about how to pirate the software or where to pirate the software, I think the software was irrelevant in what I was asking. I was getting an error response I had never seen when trying to restore a disk image and was wondering what it was from or what I was doing wrong. And yes I have jailbroken my iPhone, and paid for a lot of the apps too as well as donated to some of the devs. I'm not currently and miss Quick Reply dearly. This thread started just as needing some help as to why disk utility wasn't doing what I wanted it to do and I think got off on a tangent that was unnecessary and irrelevant to the question asked.

Victor

25. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

What I do:

-have a legit .dmg image of leopard on a usb stick (I made long time back from a leopard dvd)
    -I boot any ppc with a legit Tiger cd I have
    -After opening language screen I pick disk utility.
    -I erase the hard drive (I normally pick option to write zero's once),after that's done I partition the harddrive with the second partition being about 10 gig's
    -I then pick restore (source .dmg leopard image on usb) and destination the newly created 10 gig partition
    -Once this is done I pick startup disk and pick second partition
    -Reboots and starts leopard install (which being from harddrive is nice and fast!)