Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
hi all,

for the most part, i've been extremely pleased with my purchase and installation of a Pioneer 4500NEX head unit which supports wireless CarPlay. IMHO, wireless Carplay is game changer allowing me to never have my phone leave my pocket as i enter and leave the car. that is, when it works :p

for the most part, wireless Carplay has worked except for the following situation: when i leave my house or another friends house where i have my phone connected to their wifi home network. it seems that my phone has prioritized my home network and friends' home network over connecting the the NEX wireless network. in these cases, my phone never connects to the NEX even as i drive away.

i've seemed to have fixed the issue with my home by having my phone out and forcing connection to the NEX CarPlay network multiple times in my garage right after the head unit boots up, but i'd like a more foolproof way of making sure this works when i'm at other locations where i don't want to spend time in a friend's driveway manually connecting my phone to the CarPlay network.

i assume others have encountered this problem. it doesn't appear there is any way to configure the order of preferred networks on the iPhone in iOS 13 (i think such a thing was available a few versions ago).

i have had zero problems with wireless CarPlay working properly and connecting my phone when i am out and about the town where my phone is connected to LTE.

FWIW, i'm running 13.2.3 on an iPhone XS, if somehow that combination is at fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.