Problems Merging Partitions - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abbeyroadey, Jun 16, 2012.

1. abbeyroadey macrumors newbie

abbeyroadey

So I got this Intel Core2 Duo MacBook with OSX 10.5.8 from my mom, who is an avid PC user (who knows why she bought it in the first place?). When she got it, she had the HD partitioned to run Windows on half. I never use Windows, and the startup disk selector when you hold the option key on booting works once in a blue moon anyway. So I decided to put the drive back together, which should be simple enough, right? Nope! Here's what happened:

I booted from the install disk and deleted the Windows partition, after which I was left with empty space. I tried resizing the startup disk and got this error:

[​IMG]

Here's a screenshot of what the partition looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why would it say to remove the valid volumes if it's just empty space?

I thought the error was because the other half of the drive was formatted for Windows, but after I re-formatted it I still got the same error.

So I tried to run First Aid on the drive, but it wouldn't let me run a Repair Disk, so I tried verifying the permissions and got the error "The underlying task reported failure on exit."

[​IMG]

After running First Aid, it wouldn't recognize the startup disk and wouldn't boot up. Only after booting in Single User Mode and running both -fsck and /mount -mu / did I get it to boot up. But the -fsck check failed. It said:

"Root device is mounted Read-Only
    disk0u2: I/O error
    invalid node structure
    The volume could not be repaired
    previous shut-down cause: 5"

I don't want to have to boot up in single-user all the time, and my startup disk is totally full, even after deleting files, so I want to use that extra space!

I tried making it into a separate Mac partition, but even after that, it wouldn't let me resize the startup disk.

[​IMG]

PLEASE HELP!!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Backup with time machine and do a clean OSX install.

3. abbeyroadey thread starter macrumors newbie

abbeyroadey

I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I'll have to buy a new external HD since my last one died. :(