Problems more likely with BTO Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yetyoupromised, Nov 4, 2013.

1. yetyoupromised macrumors newbie

I am ordering a new 13" rMBP in the next couple of days. The base model has 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD. The next model up has 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD and I cannot really afford it. My plan was to just get the base model and upgrade just the ram from 4GB to 8GB. Now since I am taking a "base model" and upgrading the RAM...is there more of a chance that I could have issues with the computer? Not exactly sure how the production process works so I am wondering if I would be better jumping up to the more expensive base instead. Cause then it is not a BTO...Maybe I am just thinking about this the wrong way. For some reason I am thinking a "base" model would be less likely to have issues than a base model that I chose to have the RAM upgraded in. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Relax. Enjoy your machine and don't expect issues. If there are issues, use your rights under the warranty.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Since the RAM is soldered to the board, it's very likely you're getting the same board with the smaller drive (if you're comparing the 2.4 model). It's only a $100 difference between the base with 8 GB RAM and the next "stock" model with a 2x size SSD.

Either way, I wouldn't worry as they look to be the same "base" (meaning the only difference is the SSD). It's not like it used to be with the removable RAM modules.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

5. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

Don't know about MBP, but my BTO MBA had a lot of problems compared to new base models from stores (loose hinge, scratches on bottom, wobble, etc.).

Had the mid model rMBP 13" (8/256) just last week, it was fantastic.

6. Starfyre, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Would think there would less issues since your getting it from the source right after they finish making it. Its the freshest macbook you could possibly get.

7. Jeanloup macrumors regular

I'm about to get the maxed-out 13" with the addition of 16GO of Ram so I hope it will be a keeper. The only thing I am not taking is the i7 because the gain in power is useless for the price. In theory it should use the latest parts so it should be better but you never know how good the employees building it are going to be so it's quite random. As random as a base model.

8. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Its probably better to have some variation from the base model just so you know for sure your not getting one of the many base configurations that are already made and ready to ship.

9. Jeanloup macrumors regular

Yep. Hence the 16gb for me :)

10. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Even though the name is "Apple," it isn't fruit. They don't go bad.

To answer the OP's question, I can't imagine it makes one iota of difference whatsoever.