Problems moving Windows iTunes to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BadHat, May 4, 2009.

1. BadHat macrumors newbie

So I've finally made the switch to Mac after decades with Windows. My 1000+ CD collection was imported using iTunes for Windows in the .wav format and resides on a large external drive. Playback, metadata, everything is fine in iTunes for Windows.

But on importing all these files into iTunes for Mac, none of the tags comes across. Of course "organize folders" was checked so iTunes dumped everything into one "Unknown Artist" folder, resulting in a five hour restore of the files from my backup. Painful.

I tried exporting the iTunes for Windows library file (.itl) as .xml and importing that into the Mac, but that did nothing.

So I tested two albums worth of files in MusicBrainz. MusicBrainz had no trouble recognizing the albums and correctly tagging them, but again, iTunes would not recognize them. As a lark, I then converted these two albums to AAC files, ran them through MusicBrainz again, and lo and behold, iTunes recognized the tagging.

Here's the question: setting aside the giant pain in the a** of re-tagging all these files using MusicBrainz, can it possibly be true that iTunes will not recognize them unless they are AAC files?? Is it just me, or is that impossibly stupid?

Anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Any recommendations? Hail Mary plays?

I've contacted AppleCare, and they were stumped. They said they would talk to some iTunes engineers and get back to me, but it doesn't look good. Help!!

2. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Just a quick guess, but how about converting the WAV files to AIFF? This is the native "full fidelity" sound file format for Apple. I did see a discussion board allegation that said WAV files were not designed to have tags.... seems a bit silly, as they worked on your PC. The AIFF files are not lossy like ACC files, so they might work for those sensitive ears.......:D

My $0.02 anyway

3. BadHat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's an option. I use aiff a lot. The main reason to store them as uncompressed is so I don't have to re-import the CD's EVER AGAIN (I can always make downconversions for iPod, etc.)

As you said, the wav files don't seem to have any trouble with tags in the PC side. I wonder if the "Convert Tags" option in iTunes might do something?