problems netowrking Mac, Pc and external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AnnaG, Jul 8, 2010.

1. AnnaG macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am relativly new to Mac and have been trying to set up a network between a PC (running Windows 7) our iMac and an external hard drive.

Currently we have the external hard drive (formatted to Fat32) connected via usb to the imac, the iMac is connected to our modem/router via ethanet. The pc is also connected to the modum/router via ethanet (to access internet).
    I have set up file shargin on both windows and mac with read/write permissions.

Heres the problem.. the pc can see, and access the external hard drive, it can open existing documents from the external and save these existing documents back to the external once they have been modified. However if we start a new document in say Word and they try to save it to the external hard drive it will not allow this document to save.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks!!:)

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how very odd. can you verify if "ignore permissions" is correct ticked when you "get info" on the hard drive from OSX?

also - in system prefs->sharing->file sharing, just make sure that you have given read/write access for that particular user.

3. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

FAT32 doesn't support any permissions. Is there a specific error message? Can you replicate with another program, say save an image from the internet browser on the PC?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

FAT32 doesnt no, but OSX might support permissions to external drives regardless of the FS.

5. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

You do have a point. In any case here's a Get Info screenshot of a FAT32 shared drive.

Attached Files:

6. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

sounds like your mac is not allowing the other pc to write to the external. But you can read, check your sharing settings on your iMac. Mac does this so viruses and other computers cannot access certain files.

Go to system preferences>sharing folder>then file sharing>check the box>then where it says "read only" by users or your name hit the down arrow and select "read and write"

also hit your external from your imac and go to "get info" and make sure the "share folder" button is checked.

That way your iMac knows you want to share with the other pc.
    Hopefully that works.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

unforunately creating a fat32 image doesnt work quite like an actual image. ;)

see the bottom tick OP? make sure that is ticked :)

Attached Files:

8. AnnaG thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your suggestions
    I have checked the shared options and its set to read/write for the external.
    I have attached the get info screen grab for the external also and have checked the shared folder option.
    I have also attached the error message which appears when i try to save a new document, this error pops up for any new file which i try to save from the pc to the external.
    As I said I can open and edit and re-save files which are existing on the external hard drive.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

^ AnnaG - WRT that first win7 image - is the document actually in use? or is it closed on every other computer?

editing one document on multiple computers generally isnt supported.

10. AnnaG thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,
    as i have created a brand new document on the pc and tried to save, it is not open anywhere else as it hasent been saved anywhere yet.
    Even when there are no other documents or files open from the external it doesnt save the new document so I'm not sure why the error message comes up.