Problems Network set up of Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hoffman99, Mar 13, 2008.

1. hoffman99 macrumors member

hoffman99

Just got Time Capsule today and having problem setting to the network.

I have a cable cox modem I typically use directly to my Imac and I want to use it with my time capsule.

I believe all my connection are correct form my cable modem to time capsule but still getting the flashing amber light.

I went to the Airport utility set up configure the network automatically (going through the directions) and I get this:

"the airport network "Apple Network XXXX" requires a password. Please enter the type of wireless security and network password.

Wireless security: WEP Passord
    Password: XXXX"

Where do I get a password for this?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That can happen, something went weird with your set up. You'll need to reset TC. Press and hold the reset button for 5 or more seconds or until the amber light flashes rapidly then go through the setup assistant again.

3. hoffman99 thread starter macrumors member

hoffman99

TC set up issues

OK I reset TC but I'm still getting the same result.

Can this have something to do with my Cable Cox modem?

Can anyone tell me what the WEP password is for? Or better yet where does it come from and how do I set one up?

4. yocko macrumors member

I had exactly the same.... also didn't know what to do... I restarted it 4 or 5 times, and after the 5th timeit suddenly worked.... no idea why... but the TC is slugish... I am far from happy with it... if I stream large files to it the music on the airtunes hicups, if i download a movie from the itunes store everthing stalls... I need to phone those idiots at the dutch apple store I am afraid and se if they have anything usefull to say

5. hoffman99 thread starter macrumors member

hoffman99

OK, went through my Airport Utility and set up my WEP password.

I know my airport base and utility set up properly. The Network status, Airport, Airport settings, network setting, and ISP are all green.

But the Internet and server are still red. And keeps telling me its my internet provider so I guess I'll call Cox Cable and ask them. If this does not work I'll take Capsule back and get a refund.

6. sjb macrumors regular

Be sure to reboot the cable modem once it is connected to your TC. A lot of cable modems can only handle a single MAC address, so it is possible that the MAC address of your computer is on the modem, and not the address of the TC. A reboot of the cable modem should clear this cache.

7. hoffman99 thread starter macrumors member

hoffman99

That's exactly what problem was. I did get some help from apple support though. All I had to do was dissconnect the power supply from both the TC and the modem and that seemed to work.

8. iMacB macrumors newbie

TC set up issues

I could not set-up Time Capsule to extend my network successfully. I was told by an Apple Expert that I must be using the same wifi channel as neighbours and getting interference. The solution was to download this widget:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19608/airtrafficcontrol

and find a channel as far as possible from anyone else's (ideally 3 or more away), and then go into my account (in my case it is BT-HomeHub on http://bthomehub.home/ where you log in as admin with your BT password) and change my wifi channel to the one I had chosen. In my case it was not only instantly successful, but increased my wifi speed for everything else.