Problems playing DVD's on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deanjcrawford, Jun 13, 2008.

1. deanjcrawford macrumors newbie

I've just bought a few TV shows in vietnam and some work perfectly, but some won't even register on my Macbook and eventually eject themselves. Took them back to the shop who proceeded to make me look like an idiot by showing me they work fine on her player.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas how to get them to work??

thanks for looking.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

ive had this problem with thai dvd's.

i think it's just an issue with burn quality, and your macbook is a little more picky regarding what it will/won't play.

if it mounts, but wont play in dvd player, i've found that VLC will often play it with greater success. but if it won't mount at all, i dont think there is much you can do.

3. deanjcrawford thread starter macrumors newbie

gutted. i was hoping it wasn't the case. thanks for your help mate!

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

5. nplima macrumors 6502a

hi

If this is not illegal in your country, you could go to a friends PC, use DVDFabDecrypter and create ISO files from your DVDs. Then you just drop those files on VLC to watch the film.

This will remove region coding and other restrictions on how to use the DVD. You can also choose whether to copy the whole content of the DVD (ads, FBI messages, ...) or just to keep the main feature. Since commercial DVDs have copy protection and this software defeats its encryption mechanism, its use is illegal both in the USA and in the European Union (where the US DMCA legislation was adopted while nobody was looking) and might be illegal in other places. Check before you rip.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

is your macbook drive on a different region setting then the discs? that could also be the problem.

7. deanjcrawford thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not too sure if it has anything to do with the region settings, as i bought some others and they work fine. these ones won't even register! i think i will try putting them on another PC when i finish traveling and coping them that way.

I bought them in vietnam so i doubt they'll be any copyright laws on them!!:)