Problems putting XP on iMac via Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by codyc815, Jun 11, 2011.

1. codyc815 macrumors member

I want to put Windows on my 2008 iMac just so I can play one game (Star Trek: Armada II). I'm in college now and was able to buy the full version of XP for $14. I was assured by the campus store that this was the full version. However, when going through the Bootcamp process it comes to a screen saying there is no previous version of windows installed and the disc inserted isn't a full version. I know this is a sign that I purchased an upgrade disc, but the store staff, who I'm friends with and work with on a daily basis, assured me it was. However, they haven't had them in stock in awhile and I was the first person to buy one so there could have been an ordering mistake. The disc says 'Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (Volume License Product Key Required)'. I just erased my computers hard drive so it might not be completely up to date, I don't know if there was an update that addressed this or not. I also didn't know if I had to register the software with the product key or something before it allowed me to install it. Sorry, I'm not 100% computer savvy, especially when it comes to Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

They sold you a Volume Licensed version of XP?

Put your XP CD in the drive > Browse to the I386 folder > Open SETUPP.INI in TextEdit > Post whatever is in that document here.

Also post the name of the CD that shows up on your Desktop (Ex. WXPFPP_EN).

Once you do that I'll let you know what Version they sold you.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Convincing XP that it has a valid Windows 9x to upgrade from isn't hard. It only checks for the filenames. There's an old thread around here somewhere where I describe the steps required to combine an XP upgrade disc and 9x disc so it can be used with Boot Camp.

B

4. codyc815 thread starter macrumors member

[Pid]
    ExtraData=70656C7063627770737A9EA8ADEC29
    Pid=76488000

The name is GRTMPCCP_EN

Thanks!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

All signs point to "Windows XP Home Upgrade W/SP3".

Here's the ancient thread I was referring to: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192164

B