Problems re-associating iTunes library stored on external USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrjarvie, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mrjarvie macrumors member

Hi folks,

I have been running my iTunes library from an external USB drive for a few months now. I recently formatted the macbook pro but when I tried to point iTunes to the 'iTunes Music folder location', i.e. my external USD drive, it doesn't seem to pick up my library. I am running iTunes 8.2 - I wonder if that could be the problem? When I initially moved my iTunes music from HDD to external USB then re-associated I was on an earlier version of iTunes.

Look forward to any response.

A

2. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

3. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How did you move the library onto the external drive in the first place? Did you copy the iTunes folder from ~/Music onto the drive or did you copy the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder? The first method would have brought over an .itl file and a couple of .xml files, along with the actual music folder. Also, are you trying to retarget the library by holding down option while launching iTunes in order to select the other location or are you changing it in iTunes preferences? The different version should not be a factor, though you will be prompted to upgrade the library file when trying to open it with a newer version.

5. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

I followed this guide: http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/19/how-to-keep-your-itunes-library-on-an-external-hard-drive/.

I moved only the iTunes Music Folder.

As per the guide in the link above, I was trying to point iTunes to the music's new location via iTunes preferences (which I have done successfully on previous versions of iTunes). I didn't do option+launch as the iTunes library file is not preset on the external location.

6. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Had a similar problem. I needed to migrate my library to an external HD as I was running out of space on my Mac Mini. Also tried to tell iTunes where to look for the library on my external drive. But iTunes didn't show any songs etc. So I had to reimport all my songs and videos. Was a pain in the a** as I had to create all playlists again.

7. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

Problem remedied. With a blank itunes library on my local HDD I told iTunes 8.2 to import songs from my external USB drive - it was smart enough not to relocate the songs and they remain on the external USB where I want them.

8. adventureguru macrumors newbie

External hard-drive music folder nightmare

I have a folder on an external drive with many gb's of music. All the libraries have been wiped out on the computer and I am now trying to associate the music folder to itunes 8.2. I am having trouble getting it to move the music and label the artist and album. All the info is attached to each song because they were burned from CD's through itunes originally.
    I did notice that they are all now showing the track # in front of the song title in the Music folder. I was really trying to avoid this but the itunes tentacles must have gotten to it.

2 questions:
    How do I remove the track # from the song title?
    How do I import the songs so it shows artist and album? I also have some music that I have from other sources so not all the music was originally burned through itunes.

thank you for any enlightenment !