Problems Re-Installing Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zerstörer, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Zerstörer macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new MacBook, so after moving everything over I went about wiping the old MacBook, which ran Tiger.

I popped in the first install disc, and chose to wipe the HD and re-install Mac OS X. However, as the install disc was being checked, it said that there was a problem and to eject and clean the disc, etc. But it won't let me eject the disc.

I've tried the eject button hundreds of times, restarted, and in Disk Utility the Eject button is grayed out.

So if I just wiped my old computer, and the install disc doesn't work properly, did I just basically brick my laptop? Also, is there any way to get the disc out?

Thanks in advance.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Go to an apple store and ask for a new install disk. Also try restarting your machine and while it starts hold down the trackpad button.

3. Zerstörer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so very much. You're a lifesaver, holy ****. I used the trackpad button method and tried the install again, and everything worked fine. The nearest Apple Store is almost 3 hours away, and also the only one in my state, so I'm glad I don't have to use that option. Kudos to you my friend.

Now I have another question. Since I'm selling this one, I figured it would be great if, when the buyer opens it up for the first time, they get to set it up just like you would if you bought a new Mac. However I'm obviously unable to continue the setup without putting in my name, home phone, email, etc.

Should I just turn the computer off without registering and all that nonsense?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yes