problems recording in garage band (line in, line out issues)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by baskumet, Jan 7, 2010.

1. baskumet macrumors newbie

hey everybody. i'm having some issues recording in garage band which should hopefully be easy to clear up. i record an instrumental track into garage band through the line-in jack in the back. the track shows up in garage band just fine and plays, but i'm running into trouble recording while that track is playing. i plug my headphones in so i can try to hear the track while i am recording vocals, but i am unable to hear the track. i checked the inputs/outputs in system preferences and output is set to headphones, microphone is set to line in. so i'm not too sure what it could be.

thanks!

i have the '09 mac pro, 2.66 ghz quad core, using 10.6.2
    i've tried recording on my girlfriend's imac, which is also running 10.6.2 and it works great.

2. baskumet thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I need to know a little more about what you're trying to do, how you're going about it and what's not working.

I believe you're trying to record a new track while listening to the track you've already created, is that right? Is the problem that you can't hear the track you recorded earlier or you can't hear the new track as you're recording it?

If you provide more specifics, i think I can probably help you out some.

4. baskumet thread starter macrumors newbie

that's exactly what i'm trying to do. simply put, i can't hear anything while i'm recording. after i record everything plays fine, but during the recording i can't hear anything.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

In order to hear the track you're recording, you have to turn on monitoring. Each track has a place to select Monitor On (it shows up in the lower right hand portion of the app when certain views are selected; unfortunately, I'm on the road away from my Mac, so I can't narrow that down). Be aware that turning Monitor On can result in latencies that make the monitor audio lag the playback audio significantly, especially if you have any effects turned on. If I need to monitor the audio I'm recording, I use a Basic Track and don't apply effects until after I record the track.

You should be able to hear the track you've already recorded, as long as it isn't muted. One of the buttons on the left hand side of each track allows you to mute the track (I think the button turns blue when mute is on).