Problems reinstalling MacOS with bootable USB.

pekimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019
Hello.. I wiped my drive in disk utility now i am trying to install MacOS with a usb drive. I boot my computer and press option key and the drive comes up but when i click in it, it just brings me to internet recovery and never goes away :/ what do i do???

Diazepam

Suspended
Nov 24, 2018
Hello.. I wiped my drive in disk utility now i am trying to install MacOS with a usb drive. I boot my computer and press option key and the drive comes up but when i click in it, it just brings me to internet recovery and never goes away :/ what do i do???
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. It refused to boot from the USB, which was created properly per Apple's instructions.

In the end, I had to go through Internet Recovery to install macOS. You will likely need to do the same.

Good luck.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
It sure helps when you tell us WHICH Mac you have?

If it has a t2 chip in it, and if you haven't previously DISABLED the "secure boot settings", it will refuse to boot from an external source.

If that's the case, and you DO have a t2 chip inside -- looks like you're going to have to boot to internet recovery (command-option-R at boot), and try to go on from there.

If that doesn't work, take it to an Apple Store genius bar.

Reactions: Diazepam and chabig