Problems Restarting

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by krombie19, Mar 13, 2012.

1. krombie19 macrumors newbie

I have an issue when I restart my late 2011 15" MBP. It will hang on the shut down. Everything closes and the OSX goes away but then it just freezes on a grey screen with the spinning wheel. Everything looks like its working but its just keeps doing that, I even left it going overnight once. My only option is to manual turn it off by pressing the power button. Any ideas or solutions to my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When I have a Mac that is behaving badly in a way similar to what you describe, I do an "archive and install". On Lion, this involves booting while holding CTRL and then picking the Lion Recovery partition. Once there, you simply pick "install" as the default is to install over an existing install deleting nothing. Of course before doing any install, I recommend doing a fresh backup. If you are already using Time Machine, start a new backup in a new location so it forces everything to be copied fresh to the new backup and if something goes wrong you have a fresh backup to restore or migrate from.

A more severe option is to do a wipe and install and then migrate from a recent Time Machine backup. The most severe option is a wipe and install followed by manually copying back files and applications you want to keep.