Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fu Manchu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
Had my MBP Mid 2015 need to be restored from Time Machine.
Everything, from scratch.

So get things rolling from the selected back ups.
Easy enough.

Then left overnight to restore as it was estimated to take 9hrs or something redic

Wake in the morning and "Restore Failed. Unable to restore from this back up" WTF?

So try again only to have a message appear preventing me from accessing my TimeMachine BackUp as "it was being used by another machine".
Well no kidding.
It was, by my MBP!

Fixed that issue by restarting my AirPort Extreme with the Back Ups on it and the MBP.
Had my MBP BackUp available again in the drop down menu. Selected a slightly older BackUp, and just into the back up it fails again. "Can not restore"

Right now I'm restoring just OS El Capitan and am thinking to try back up parts from that?
Is this a futile effort?

Can someone throw me a bone here?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Sorry, I have no idea. I had many troubles with Time Machine in the past and determined that it is not a safe way to back up. So I gave up on that and use CCC now.

However, this is the Mac Pro forum ("Mac Pro" as in the tower workstation), and your question really has nothing to do with Mac Pros. You might get more answers in the OS X forum.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
try installing os x from scratch, meaning use a sd card to boot ( because internet recovery might use an older version of os x to install os x ) , use the same user name and password, and use migration assistant instead. you can use migration assistant during the install of os x , or run it after os x is installed

or try restore using wired ethernet

never run disk utility or disk warrior on time machine sparse bundles. it is not advised. the only disk checking you should do to a sparse bundle is letting the time capsule check the disk during boot , or using the option key to ' verify backup set '

Fu Manchu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
try installing os x from scratch, meaning use a sd card to boot ( because internet recovery might use an older version of os x to install os x ) , use the same user name and password, and use migration assistant instead. you can use migration assistant during the install of os x , or run it after os x is installed

or try restore using wired ethernet

never run disk utility or disk warrior on time machine sparse bundles. it is not advised. the only disk checking you should do to a sparse bundle is letting the time capsule check the disk during boot , or using the option key to ' verify backup set '
annnd this is just what I did with great success.

It worked.

Rather than starting it up and going through the TimeMachine blah blah, I wiped the drive clean. Re-installed OSX. Went through the process presented to me as it was when I first set up the MBP and Bam! Fixed. Just as it was minus some passwords but working great :)

P.S. Could Mods please move this to OSX as suggested by previous poster.

This has been a solution I wasn't able to find easily on the intermanets and should help lots of others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.