Problems restoring ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sookilala, Oct 26, 2013.

1. sookilala, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

sookilala macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 3rd gen ipad that im trying to restore and update... Im getting the fairly common seeming "device not eligible for this upgrade" error message when attempting the restore and update... i have tried editing my host file in a few different recommended ways with no success... i have attempted the update in both recovery and DFU modes with no success...

What makes this really weird is the fact i was on jailbroken ios6.1.2, when i was overseas earlier this year i encountered some problems with my ipad, apps loaded through the appstore were crashing... i decided to roll back my ipad to a saved backup... the backup restore seemed to crash and freeze so after having left it for a while i reset... my ipad was seemingly restored to the previous backup, except now the os version is reading 6.01...

The jailbreak still works fine i have access to cydia no problems... i wouldnt even mind that the device has somehow rolled back to a previous os except ios 6.01 has known issue with adhoc networks... i use this ipad as a midi over wifi controller in my studio and now i cant connect to the midi network sessions... rendering the ipad useless for anything except reading on the toilet...

furthermore when i attempt to update through the ipad itself and not through itunes... all i get is the checking for updates message but it never finds anything... the message just remains...

any help or ideas would be really appreciated... im stuck...

i fully accept the fact i may need to upgrade to ios7.03 and not be able to jailbreak, infact thats what i have been attempting to do...

help...?

2. sookilala thread starter macrumors newbie

seems ive managed to work around the ad hoc issues in 6.01... making it not really necessary to update anymore... still i would like to solve this problem as there is an obvious issue...

any help still appreciated...

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Can't help on the "not eligible for this upgrade" issue, but not being able to upgrade from the device itself is because it is jailbroken. Doing that puts the device into an infinite boot loop, so the jailbreak team put in some code to disable that function on jailbroken devices. The only way to restore or upgrade a jailbroken device is to do it through iTunes.

4. sookilala thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks night spring...

explains part of the puzzle... i remembered being able to remove previous jailbreaks by updating from the ipad itself...

yeah this error and the fact none of the suggested fixes involving potential host file problems work is confusing... im pinging gs.apple no problems so there doesnt appear to be a problem with me connecting to the verification servers...

but thankyou for your answer... :)

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You did check that you have the correct ispw? Did you try having iTunes download the firmware? Also, you do have the latest iTunes version?

6. sookilala thread starter macrumors newbie

ive tried it on the last 2 versions of iTunes... the most recent you cant restore from downloaded ispw... and yes im letting itunes download the firmware... im downloading the ispw for my device now and going to try restoring using it in itunes 11.1 by manually selecting the ispw...

thanks again...

7. sookilala thread starter macrumors newbie

seems to have restored using manual ispw download and selection on itunes 11.1...

8. sookilala thread starter macrumors newbie

seems like itunes was dl the wrong firmware... which is really hard to believe...

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, that's bizarre. But glad to hear the issue was resolved, even if we don't quite know how. :D