Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeeplj8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
I had to go to a DVD backup for images after a HD failure. This is a DVD- burned on this machine. disc was burned sometime in 2010. When trying to open some images and folders the machine just sits, no joy. Will not open some images or folders. Cannot import images, etc. iPhoto gives message after 30 minutes that some files are corrupted.

Question is not so much how to retrieve those images (though that would be nice) but what went wrong? When I burned the disc it verified fine. Is this a problem with the burner drive (same drive all these years)? Should I replace the drive itself to prevent future problems? If so - suggestions.

This is internal optical bay 1 on my Mac Pro. OEM drive, made by Pioneer IIRC.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's not so much the burner as it is the quality of the DVDs and the method of storage. I've got some that I burned 20 years ago when burners just started becoming affordable and they are fine. I've got others that are only 2-5 years old and have failed. The quality of the Dye, method of production, temperature, humidity, lighting conditions etc... All this has an effect on storage life. Even the storage container comes into play.

The most important thing you can do is purchase the highest quality Disc you can, and then store in a low humidity, dark, cool environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.